Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Garrett AT Pro & prospecting

keppy

I just wanted to know if any one has used or thought about useing the new....... Garrett AT Pro for prospecting.........

Hey keppy,a mate and I both have the At Pro and went out after the yella on the weekend here in OZ,It handled the hot ground with out a worry in the world,ground balanced at 85,we were sniping in creek beds with pools of water up to 1 meter deep,the detector did every thing well and it was hard getting used to putting it under the water,the standard coil took a few bumps and as luck has it I put electrical tape around the edge to take the shock from hitting rocks because it would chip easily I have the sniper coil on order and it would be more suited to this type of detecting,I dug a lot of targets but no gold,one target was a copper rivet about as round as a pea at 10/12 inches in wet sand that was a good example that it will be quite capable at finding gold,I did find a 1876 English sixpence and that beeped in very strong,my mate found a hand of a pocket watch,[very small] which was a pleasant surprise,its hard to get used to the audio role on steal targets,just got to tune my ears to it,I must ad that we didn't find any gold with our $5000.00 detectors either,I think the pro will have a spot in my arsenal for some time,cant wait to get the sniper coil to do the crevices ,,hope this helps good luck Bazza

tigermoth said:
Hey keppy,a mate and I both have the At Pro and went out after the yella on the weekend here in OZ,It handled the hot ground with out a worry in the world,ground balanced at 85,we were sniping in creek beds with pools of water up to 1 meter deep,the detector did every thing well and it was hard getting used to putting it under the water,the standard coil took a few bumps and as luck has it I put electrical tape around the edge to take the shock from hitting rocks because it would chip easily I have the sniper coil on order and it would be more suited to this type of detecting,I dug a lot of targets but no gold,one target was a copper rivet about as round as a pea at 10/12 inches in wet sand that was a good example that it will be quite capable at finding gold,I did find a 1876 English sixpence and that beeped in very strong,my mate found a hand of a pocket watch,[very small] which was a pleasant surprise,its hard to get used to the audio role on steal targets,just got to tune my ears to it,I must ad that we didn't find any gold with our $5000.00 detectors either,I think the pro will have a spot in my arsenal for some time,cant wait to get the sniper coil to do the crevices ,,hope this helps good luck Bazza
tigermoth........Thanks a lot for the good info .. Sounds like it will be a good prospecting detector..... I cancelled my AT Pro once but then changed my mind ....I should have it Dec.22........HH,....... keppy

Uncle Willy said:
Why not? It's listed for prospecting and with 15 khz it ought to work great.

Bill
............... Why not ?.... Remember that listing is a advertisement for the detector........... Myself i like to get my info from real users like tigermoth.......That's why not !![........Do you believe every thing you read ???/color]

I'm really glad to hear this. BTW I see the MineLab 305, while it is the lower end of MineLab, takes the 18khz coiol. SOOOoooo I wonder if IT TOO
would do well in the hot ground and find gold?
Katz

Old Katz said:
I'm really glad to hear this. BTW I see the MineLab 305, while it is the lower end of MineLab, takes the 18khz coiol. SOOOoooo I wonder if IT TOO
would do well in the hot ground and find gold?
Katz
Never thought about that good question i would like to see some answers to that question.........

Willy.
I just got off the phone with Kevin at MineLab.
The 305 and the 505 was tweaked with a greater range of
discrimination and GB. Looks like
we CAN get the 305 with GB unlike the old xterra 30. It also
as a pinpoint mode similar to the ACE as well. Looks like they are
always improving on their product. I wondered about the possibility
of using the 305 for gold prospecting but he says probably not, even
thopugh the 305 has GB and caan use the 18.75khz coil. If I'm
on a budget then sure, the 505 can find those gold nuggets but
better off getting the 705 if I want to prospect.
Katz

HEY Willy-There's a Sniper coil out for the AT PRO-You have to let me know how it hit's small gold.
I know you will get it........

Still have not bought a new machine-Now that I seen a AT-PRO hit a .1nugget-Im thinking AT PRO-Sniper coil-Ultimate underwater sniping machine.

Any AT Pro owners out there prospected in old creek or river beds in the California Gold Country where there are a lot of hot rocks?
I see someone asked about hot rocks but didn't see a reply. Hot rocks are tough on VLF detectors, so wondering how the AT Pro does.
Thank you!

I don't know what your hot rocks are like but here in Australia they can be very trying,I have a magnet on the end of my pick and if you touch the ground with it you have a big clump on it full of iron stone,the pro handles hotrocks with ease,some of the quarts specimens I find with the minelab sound off as tho there is gold in them and when you crack them open there's zilch,,but if I run the pro over them with the sniper coil and there is no signal you dint bother with them ,,the pro is very capable at finding small gold in iron stone,hope this helps,,:beers:

Thank you, Tigermoth. I should have been a little more descriptive. We have the same gravel-sized hot rocks here. I have a rare earth magnet on my pick, and when I dig in the dirt the magnet ends up covered with them, just as you have experienced.
However, the hot rocks I meant to describe are typically around 8-12 inches in diameter. And they sound off like targets. These are the ones that drive a VLF machine crazy in these parts.

Would you use the sniper coil for scouting a river area to then sluice it?

Hi Landman,I use the pro with the sniper coil to do the crevices and pot holes and run it over my mullic heap from my hi banker,I see in the US some guys track the heavy metal line in the rivers with detectors and place markers along the line and then sluice it,I have tried that here in AUS without success,we don,t seem to have the pyrite concentrates that occur there,there is a river near me that has tin as well as gold and it could be done there,I mainly just read the river and the line I think the gold would take and do a few test pans and where I get good colour I go for it,I have good day,s and bad day,s ,:sadwalk:but always,s have fun,good luck