Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Garrett AT Pro Review.....

Clyde(La.)

Hello Everyone,
I have just received a new AT Pro. I assembled detector on Friday and took it outside to check it in my coin garden. Ground balance was done, reading 61 on ground grab. There was no false signals at any time in this detector. It was very quiet. I was able to turn sensitivity to 8 bars. I was able to get a signal on all of my targets. The ID is very good at depth. I was impressed with the results. Today, I took it out in the field. First site hunted was a new area to us. Ground grab here was 81. Did not stay here long, as there was a lot of fill dirt that was brought in, so we left for another site. Next site we went to was also a new area. Ground grab here was in the high 70's. I found one silver war nickel about 4" deep. ID was correct at depth. Detector was very quiet, except for an occasional target. I ran the detector in standard coin mode, iron disc was set at 40 with iron audio on. Sensitivity was set at 7, most of the time. I found a couple lincoln pennies, one quarter and I think, one wheat penny. There was not any really deep finds at this site. We stayed here a while, then decided to go to another site that we had researched. We arrived at next site and setup to hunt. Ground grab was in high 70's again. We hunted this site for a good while. I was going to hunt with the AT Pro all day, to learn the good and bad about this detector. I did dig a lot of targets at this site. Targets found at depths down to about 7". I managed to find another silver war nickel. I am learning this detector and I am liking what I am seeing. We decided to call it quits here as we were not getting any deep hits at all. It was a older school yard that we had permission to hunt. I was wanting to stop at a very old school on the way home, that I have hunted many times before, with a variety of detectors. We do find a couple items here each time, but they are getting scarce. Arriving at site, I set up the AT Pro. Ground grab was at 61. I decided to keep hunting here in the standard mode as before, to learn the detector. I did turn sensitivity up to 8. I did not believe this but I was able to find 2 silver war nickels here, 2 buffalo nickels and 5 wheat pennies. Targets were in the range of 5" to 9".
Well my first day of hunting with this detector has rewarded me with 20 quarters, 9 dimes, 18 nickels, 25 memorial pennies, 4 silver war nickels, 2 buffalo nickels, 6 wheat pennies, 1 gold clad ring with small stone (cheap ring), very tiny green turtle jewelry and many trash items.
It was a very good first day with this detector. I did decide to hunt the last hour or so in Pro mode. I had been checking some of my targets in pro all day, to get the feel for it. I did not feel confident to hunt in Pro mode all day.
The good: This is the deepest detector that I have used from Garrett in disc mode. The recovery time on this detector is amazing. The target ID is very good, even at extreme depths that I was digging. The DD coil is great. It is a big coil, but it hunts like a smaller coil. In iron, this is where the AT Pro shines. I recovered items right next to junk targets. I recovered 3 different coins, with a rusty nail in the same hole. I was getting iron grunts, with bell tone hits. I dug wadded foil (3/4" diameter) in a hole, with nickel ID, that had a large rusty nail 2" below it.
The bad: A little nose heavy, so I moved the armrest back as far as I could go by drilling another hole near the back end of the rod. I wish I could have gone more, so I guess I will be buying the extension for it. Pro mode in my opinion, will need further testing, as I like the audio, but at depth, is a very soft, weak signal. I know this is a modulated audio. I do like detectors that hunt this way. But it is so soft sounding, that I think I could miss targets at extreme depths. My opinion is the headphones might be part of the problem. I will be buying the headphone adapter, as soon as Garrett releases this to the public. I think that better headphones might help. Garrett has really done their homework on this detector, but should have included better phones. I would have gladly payed more money for this.
Everything wrote here is my own opinion. Look at my signature at the bottom. You can see what competition that this detector has at my disposal. I have been detecting for a long time and enjoy every minute. I have been waiting for Garrett to come alive in this tough market. I do believe that they have taken a very big step forward, in the right direction. The AT Pro is very sensitive to low conductors.
What I want from Garrett:
1) I would like a round 6" DD coil.
2) More coil choices in DD configuration (they have enough concentric choices)
3) better or wider stand under the armrest to keep the detector from falling over when you set it down. I do not like the looks of the after market ones.
4) field test their next prototype before it hits the market :please:
After all that I have wrote, I have one more thing to say. THIS DETECTOR IS NOT FOR SALE !

Good Hunting, Clyde (La.)

Wow, you must have a room just for your machines!

I'm working on stands that are not plumbing pipe and some fittings. It will be cool looking and won't hit your leg either. Built from aluminum. May be a month or so.

khouse said:
I'm working on stands that are not plumbing pipe and some fittings. It will be cool looking and won't hit your leg either. Built from aluminum. May be a month or so.

Hello Kenny,
That sounds great. I personally do not like the looks of the PVC stands. Just wish that you would be selling them quicker, as I am sure someone else is manufacturing some now. You might can jump sales before they come out. Anyway, I have eyed your extension here and will be purchasing today...Thanks...
Clyde (La.)

Swinger said:
Hey Clyde, how do you like the AT Pro compared to your other detectors?
Hello Swinger,
I think that what I wrote shows that I do like it.....I will be using it on my next trip out...
Good Hunting, Clyde (La.)

I agree with you about the detector being nose heavy. Try turning the coil around and mounting it backwards. Not a huge difference but it does help.

Kurt

I'm not a fan of the pipe stand. If you make a nice functional stand you can count me in for a sale. Detector Mfg. people must like to watch their detectors roll away. I always hated to put metal detector down in the wet grass. But I guess the AT Pro doesn't care about that.

I need to refine my prototype and order more materials. I wish they were ready too. They are simple like the Gizmo.

Thanks for the insite on the AT PRO.
Good info.
Lots of choices in your stable:drool::laugh:

The new ones I have without the falsing problem are going fast!!! Great machines! Awesome review! Thanks! :clap:

Ah... The disc at 40. that how I started hunting back in Nov. or early Dec. I decided early on that I did not need any iron. Good Post. I sent mine in on friday to have it checked. I did not have as many problems like most folks but I thouhgt I should have it checked anyway. Wouldn't you know the damn rain stopped today! Very nice out. So I had an hour with the long forgotton ACE 250 with the 10x14. It worked great. I forgot how deadly the 250 is in damp ground.

Clyde after you hunt 0ne area go back an just dig med tones for a couple of days. My jewlry ratio started to climb. Good Luck