Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Garrett ATX Australian Price

cymro

The cost of the ATX in Australia has had me wondering about where the extra $ are going. So I decided to have a stab at calculating the actual cost of legally importing one from the US.

Step one consult the Australian Customs pages on

cymro said:
The cost of the ATX in Australia has had me wondering about where the extra $ are going. So I decided to have a stab at calculating the actual cost of legally importing one from the US.

Step one consult the Australian Customs pages on

I'm fairly sure there is no duty payable on metal detectors. Duty doesn't apply to all goods but GST does.

Profit margins will always be higher here. I'm guessing for every ATX sold here in Australia (or other machines for that matter), 10 will be sold in the USA......:confused:

Tony.

Tony said:
I'm fairly sure there is no duty payable on metal detectors. Duty doesn't apply to all goods but GST does.

Profit margins will always be higher here. I'm guessing for every ATX sold here in Australia (or other machines for that matter), 10 will be sold in the USA......:confused:

Tony.

Had a good look at the Australian custom site, as far as I can ascertain there are no exceptions for metal detectors. However detectors under the value of $1000 are exempt and this also I believe applies to a range of goods valued at under $1000. If you are able to point me at the relevant section that shows metal detectors to be exempt from duty that would be great.
Cheers Dave

cymro said:
Tony said:

Tony.

Had a good look at the Australian custom site, as far as I can ascertain there are no exceptions for metal detectors. However detectors under the value of $1000 are exempt and this also I believe applies to a range of goods valued at under $1000. If you are able to point me at the relevant section that shows metal detectors to be exempt from duty that would be great.
Cheers Dave

I should also add that the best price I could find in Australia was $2889.15 which is listed as a special provided you preorder and pay 50% as a downpayment.

I purchased a nice GP3500 from the USA some months ago and there was no duty as part of the invoice, etc from Aussie Customs.
Maybe it was "officer discretion"........afterall I told him the machine was about 7 years old.....:nopity:

There is this link though.......0% duty for metal detectors into Australia plus all other countries listed.

http://www.dutycalculator.com/dc/64581351/electronics-video-games/other/metal-detectors/import-duty-rate-for-importing-fisher-metal-detector-from-united-states-to-australia-is-0/

Tony said:
I purchased a nice GP3500 from the USA some months ago and there was no duty as part of the invoice, etc from Aussie Customs.
Maybe it was "officer discretion"........afterall I told him the machine was about 7 years old.....:nopity:

There is this link though.......0% duty for metal detectors into Australia plus all other countries listed.

http://www.dutycalculator.com/dc/64581351/electronics-video-games/other/metal-detectors/import-duty-rate-for-importing-fisher-metal-detector-from-united-states-to-australia-is-0/

Thanks Tony, I will check with a local custom guy again, but your link seems to definitely indicate no duty payable. My figures aren

Having imported and sold electronics from the US for over 20 years, these AU selling prices are not too far off. The importer should get a decent discount of 20% - 30% depending on volume.

Resellers have to have a profit margin of at least 40% or they may as well not be in business. If you think this is too high, try renting premises, paying for advertising, staff and insurances and then having support costs for training staff and customers as well as covering warranty issues.

Bailysw,

Those are the same things a lot of the big dealer have to deal with in the states as well....plus the pressures of expected generous discounts and added free gifts etc.
Most of the guys I spoke with down your way would be happy to pay the difference in exchange rates, shipping and to do that at full USA retail.
They do differ about if there is import duties on metal detectors....which could really elevate the price.
But it would seem there is a fair amount of unaccounted for cost.

Cheers,

Tye