Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Garrett ATX coil on Minelab GPX?

Yea, but be careful man...you might blow a circuit and thats gonna cost a lot of bucks to fix.

The only way to "risk" it, would be by using an Ohm Meter to measure the resistance of each coil in the ATX, writing it down and then measure the resistance of each coil on the GPX5000. If there is no appreciable difference, then nothing untoward should really happen. I would allow as much as 20% difference. Your Ohm Meter should be a digital one (but you can use an analog one if you know how to navigate through the possible multiple scales) and capable of measuring very low resistance with a good resolution. Another problem could be in the "lead out" configuration as the coils are soldered to the cable connector pins. These could be rewired to match, if necessary, but you should know what you are doing. A little knowledge of electronics or perhaps a buddy of yours who might know could be of help. Good luck - the results could be very, very interesting!

Jerry

I should imagine it uses a microcontroller. Existence of any in-coil amplifier could be established by measuring the resistance of each coil in one direction and then again with the test probes polarity reversed. If the reading remains the same in both directions with both coils measured then there is no presence of any semiconductor device, thus no amplifier. I do not own a GPX, I am an electronics tech just trying to answer the STAYS' question.

Jerry

Stasys - here is the problem - ATX coils are made with the rod and coil as one unit. When you change an ATX coil, you change the rod AND the coil. You dont detach the coil from the rod as you do with the GPX (and 98% of all other detectors). This is a big reason why ATX coils seem way expensive - you are buying a coil and rod together. The one unit coil / rod is how the unit says water proof.

To use an ATX coil on the GPX you would have an extra rod hanging out (from the ATX) that cannot attach to the GPX (they are not at all compatible). Perhaps wrap them together with a whole roll of electric tape. It just would be clunky, look very weird and the coil would not be well attached to the GPX rod. Coils that wobble make extra noise - cables that wobble can be noisy too.

Allthgether its not a very practical idea, even if the electronics are compatible (and I am very uncertain about that, too).

I think it should work Jerry, but I have just Minelab SD and not ATX. What I know all coils in all PI Minelabs and the rest Pi detectors is just copper wire windings,the same I think in the ATX, but maybe can be something new. If ATX coil will work on Garrett Infinium and infinium coil work on Minelab Pi detectors everything should work. Shaft and coil connectors Reno is very easy to cut off or Garrett shaft connect to minelab Shaft with tape or make it solid ...
We need somebody with ATX to measure coil resistance to know more. Will ask in Infinium forum if they can use Minelab PI coils.

I have watched the videos posted on the forums
about the ATX. It looks to me like the ATX is dancing circles
around the other PI's. I'm not bad mouthing the other PI's; Just
making an observation. But then for $2500 the Axt BETTER be good.:)-)
Robt 2300

The Minelab Commander coils are passive coils - no embedded electronics. Coiltek makes coils that plug and play for the GPX detectors. Don't woory - be hoppy!

So.. the coil probably isn't the component that takes the ATX over the top in performance. I probably missed something - but why go through the trouble to swap coils?

Is there a suggestion on an improved coil design for the GPX?

- Geowizard

Hi Stasys,

If I had my ATX I would be happy to measure the coils resistance for you. Unfortunately I am still waiting for delivery as I have ordered the Deep-seeker Package which is not out as yet.

Cheers

Jerry