Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Garrett ATX Issues and Thoughts

nolanation

FIRST, I want to say thank you for any advice you guys can offer, and apologize if this has been previously discussed.

I am going to be purchasing a PI machine and it has come down to the ATX and the White's Dual Field. I know they both have their positive and negatives, but am having a tough time deciding if the extra $1500 is worth it for an ATX. My biggest concern is the cams on the ATX, as it seems like they gather sand EASY and it can be near impossible to get all of it out. Is there a fix or workaround? I know that the sand can tear into the shafts pretty quick if you are not careful. I like to keep my machines looking good for resale down the road, and now wondering if that is even possible with this sand issue. This will be my first PI and I already own the CTX which works pretty well in the water as well. I have been hearing good things about the Dual Field and that it will work nearly as well as the ATX. Any cons of the Dual Field compared to the ATX, or any advice as to which to choose? Thanks again.

It sounds like your sitting on the fence there nolanation :) so I thought that I would help you get your thread going

With the CTX you have a great saltwater machine and you know what your scooping for the most part. The only reason to want a waterproof pulse over that machine is because you want to go deeper in the wet sand and saltwater. The Dual Field is a great machine also and Dr Joe Prime (hopefully he will chime in and give you some insight) purchased an ATX to go deeper than his Dual Field in saltwater conditions here in Southern CA.

So if you want to go a little deeper than your CTX in saltwater conditions, go with the Dual Field, if you want to get what EVERYONE else left behind in the wet sand and saltwater, go with the ATX.

You said your not worried about the weight of the ATX ... and I say don't worry about the sand and silt clogged cam locks on the shaft. Just hose it off while twisting the cam locks back and forth to flush out the crap, and your good to go. And with that $1700 deal, you can't lose.

Hopefully someone else has some info to give you.

Check out my posting about cleaning the ATX...My Biggest Find Yet at the below link. Pictures and all. Also check out the two maintenance videos that Garrett has posted.

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?96,2063821,2063821#msg-2063821

Hey WaterWalker ... Your going to scare nolanation off the ATX by making the ATX out to be a High Maintenance Five Star Girl :)

I am on my second year with the ATX. At the end of the hunt, I loosen the cams, then extend & shorten the rods several times, while tightening and loosening the cams. I leave the cams open and the rods fully extended. When I get home, I take the ATX into the shower and repeat the above scenario. My rods seem to be fine. (please, no wisecracks) :rofl:

Armadillos are highly susceptible to dermatitis - I suggest a quick rinse with a good quality conditioner after shampooing your armadillo .. It will thank you.

Just kidding - any normal herbal scented shampoo is fine!

I will be the owner of a new ATX tomorrow 6/11 for $1700. I will update the forum with my finds and thoughts. Thanks for all the help again!

Nolan

1700 USD is a good deal! You will have a great pair of machines, just need to pick the right day for each one depending on the intended targets. It is amazing how quickly the beaches can change, was going to go for a hunt today, as the beaches had all been eroded lately - and then, a big storm last night and now totally sanded in - DARN IT! I usually take both machines with me! look forward to seeing the finds! One of my friends is after an ATX, may need to lookup that dealer you brought from!

I have yet to wash or hose down my ATX since I have had it since OCT 2013! If your doing a lot of beach hunting that might be an issue, but I have had no problems so far with the cam locks...

BK

Got it. Thanks guys! WIll update with finds. WIll be hitting the beach several times the 3rd week of June.

DMNZ, this came from a ex-dealer who only had one left that he originally was going to keep for himself.

Fresh Armadillo! - Enjoy it and Have Fun - Look forward to your Feedback

I do not try to "scare" anyone, just telling my experience. Here on Cape Cod the water is very silty on the sound side where I do most of my detecting. The same goes for Rhode Island and Long Island Sound off the CT and NY coasts. The salt and silt are the reason for high maintenance on the ATX. I am sure if I was in FL, the Caribbean or only in most fresh water the cams would be less of a problem to my detector. Since I started working the cams before leaving the water, rinsing them with the power washer at the car and hitting them with a blast of air when I get home I have not had but one tighten up on me to the point I had to use the rubber band wrench to loosen. Just like there is no one detector for all locations, there is no one procedure that will clean the ATX's cams. I may have gone to an extreme, but it works for me!

I am anxious to see how well you do. Take your time and learn it well and it will take care of your need to find great treasures.

My ATX is completely locked up where the shaft is inside the metal detect, and at the top joint. This is a great piece of electronics in a very poorly designed shaft and case.
Sent an email to Garrett this morning, no response. I will call tomorrow, and I won't except "the person you need to talk to is away from his desk" as they told me today.
bye,

superdave99 said:
My ATX is completely locked up where the shaft is inside the metal detect, and at the top joint. This is a great piece of electronics in a very poorly designed shaft and case.
Sent an email to Garrett this morning, no response. I will call tomorrow, and I won't except "the person you need to talk to is away from his desk" as they told me today.
bye,

What happened on your phone, was there a resolution ?

Here is the reply to an email:

Hello Mr. Campbell. Thanks for being a Garrett customer and your inquiry. I appreciate your patience as well. I have forwarded your question to several other contacts to see if anyone can offer up any new ideas etc. At this point I am still waiting for replies . Other than the standard ATX video demonstrating the proper cleaning of the unit , I have nothing more to add at this time. Please know that I will keep you posted if and when I get any more input.

Best regards,

Rusty Curry

Customer Service and Sales

That is a bit of a disappointing answer.

I do recall when the ATX was first announced thinking the shaft locks are going to cause problems for sea water users ( I had the same problem on the excalibur, which I eventually changed to a straight shaft and got rid of the lock).

I eventually had to soak the shaft in water for an hour and twist it a little bit back wards and forwards little by little until all the very fine grains of sand worked there way out.

I have both, both are great units. I had one of the first ATX units and use it hard, including two weeks of in the surf every day in Hawaii. I have no issues with the shafts per se if I clean them every time I leave the water. The upper cam was binding at one point so I disassembled and cleaned, no problem since.

Main question Surf vs ATX? Simple really. It is all about the mineralization of the beach. If you have difficulty maintaining an even threshold with the Surf due to black sand or hot rocks the ATX is the better option. Otherwise the Surf is easier to handle and in moderate to low mineralization depth is possibly better with the Surf. In high mineral locations the ATX has better depth.

The Surf is of course waterproof to 100 ft, ATX to only 10 feet, if you are diving. Unlike many waterproof to ten foot units I have a high confidence level in the ATX waterproof integrity.

Good to hear.

I did have a DF for a short while, be prepared for the coil to want to float a lot, it has positive buoyancy.