Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Garrett ATX Weight

One of the first things that struck me when I picked up the ATX is the weight. I have a TDI and it weighs 5.3 lbs. the ATX supposedly weighs 5.5 lbs but in my hands it sure felt like more. I tried weighing it on bathroom scales but did not trust the accuracy of the results enough to post them. I have some mailing to do these days, so I went ahead and invested in a good set of digital postal scales that just arrived.

The ATX loaded with the rechargeable batteries and stock 12" coil, no headphones attached, weighs 6 lbs 15 oz or 6.9 lbs. This is substantially over the listed 5.5 lbs and explains why I have felt is necessary to use the included sling for all but brief use of the ATX. This is a detector for a manly-man. Unfortunately I guess I do not fall into that category as I prefer my detectors as light as possible.

The control box alone with batteries but no lower rod and coil and arm cup removed weighs 3 lbs 4 oz. That means over half the weight of the unit is in the heavy-duty rod and epoxy filled coil assembly.

I feel the weight is acceptable for beach and water use since the detector is waterproof and stout enough to withstand hard use in the surf. However, for prospecting or other dry land use I would prefer a lighter weight package.

I suppose it is possible I have a piece of lead secreted somewhere in my ATX so if Alan or John wish to weigh theirs for comparison that would be great. And yes, I have notified Garrett that I believe the spec sheet is in error.

Steve, I just weighed my ATX and I got the same weight, 6 lbs 15 oz. It is heavy and I just returned form a 3 day relic hunt where I was hunting hard for 9 hours each day. I did not use the bungee strap but I did lay the detector on the ground to dig, quite often. I never switched swinging hands and I got a little tired but I got used to it. I find if you use the arm cuff strap and adjust the length so you upper arm is vertical, all of the pressure is on your shoulder and back instead of your arm. My shoulder is a little sore but not too bad.

I noticed that on the Recon Pro page on Garrett's site, the Recon specs are as you say here for the ATX. It's definitely heavier than say my AT Gold...But the balance to me from the Infinium is much better so I don't mind the weight so much. I have done several 5 hour plus hunts and not a prob so far...I just do the arm switching thing. But I will try to weigh mine anyway.

I just remembered that standard batteries weigh less than re-chargables. Is that the difference in the weight? It made a significant difference in my GTI 2500 total weight. Curious...

We are talking 1.4 lbs here - no, it is not the batteries. The alkaline battery packs weigh 7.2 oz total and rechargeable packs 9 oz total. So you can save not quite 2 oz switching to alkalines.

That'swhat I discovered too. Initially the unit was heavy, however, once set up and using good body mechanics, most of the weight is transfered to the upper body mobility of the shoulder. If you are in reasonably good shape, detect often and don't suffer any auto immune diseases like rheumatoid arthritis or osteoarthritis, you should have minimal troubles with using the unit without the harness. I am not advocating hunting without it, however, the weight alone of any object does not necessarily make it heavy and hard on your muscles/joints.

Steve H: "This is a detector for a manly-man. Unfortunately I guess I do not fall into that category as I prefer my detectors as light as possible."
I think this is the problem, Lol :beers:

Try your GPX 5000 with all that crap hanging off you and you might like that better...since it is a girly mans detector, Lol, Lol - :usaa::usow::wiggle:

The GPX 5000 weighs 5.3 lbs. The separate battery weighs 1.7 lbs but it is not on your arm. Hang a 5.3 lb detector and a 6.9 lb detector on your arm and see which fatigues your arm first. Hang both off the same sling or harness/bungee and see which is harder to work. It is not about weight distributed on your body it is about weight on the arm. You guys want to pretend a 6.9 lb detector is not heavy that is fine by me. These things matter to me even if they do not to others.

I'm just messin with ya Steve...it is pretty heavy after using one arm for half hour...I have not tried the supplied bungy strap as I take enough stuff out in the field to hunt and don't want to have any more stuff than nessasary.
My concern, as you, is where is the 5.5 lb detector advertised.

But I must say again, the balance of this machine, to me, does not feel too heavy.
Go do a nugget hunt instead of water hunt and see how you fair without the bungy with just switching arms for at least 5 hours.

P.S. My Ace 150 has better plastic than my GPX 5000...hense the light weight. Charge someone $5000 and use brittle and cheap feeling plastic is just CRIMINAL.

Which detector would I rather accidently drop down a cliff? Mmm, the ATX! Built like a tank...! :blink:

bearkat4160 said:
I'm just messin with ya Steve

I know you are Alan - no worries. As a person who has had tendonitis at one point from swinging a detector I can tell you it can get pretty serious if ignored. So no, I will not be pushing my luck in that regard.

Got it Steve, better to preserve your swing rather than make it worse.

Alan

It's a beast, but If I get one, I'll find a work around for it I'm sure.

Having said that, Garrett should really address the weight issue. I would like to know how Garrett came up with the 5.5 lbs. in the first place (8" Mono Maybe?). I'm curious on that one.

Thanks for the heads up Steve.

:)

You were correct Steve. The weight on the spec sheets were wrong. They (folks at Garrett) aren't sure how it happened?......perhaps the weight without a coil? Anyhow, they will make corrections on all their forms, literature etc. Thanks for taking the time to do the weight and discovering the error.

On the plus side, there were some interesting conversations on weight, health and using the sling to prevent further issues with muscle & connective tissue injuries.:stretcher:

Well, settles that...