Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Garrett comparison......

Jugghead

I've used Garrett detectors since 1969, beginning with the Hunter, and with only a few early exceptions, have remained faithful.
I now own an ADS 7, Ace 250 and GTI 2500. Just yesterday, my finds included a V nickel, an Indian head cent, six wheaties,
and two current pennies in a neighbors' yard, all at 4-8" deep. While making use of the various functions of the 2500, I began
wondering how Garretts stack up against other brands. I know that many of you good folks own several different detectors, so
my question is: are there more sensitive, deeper seeking, better discriminating detectors out there? I am especially curious
about the Minelabs. Not losing the faith, just curious. Thanks. Jugg.

All detectors are good. I don't know of anyone that makes a bad detector. If they did they wouldn't be in business very long. It just boils down to which one is good for you. The grass isn't always greener. Many folks ask the old question, " Which is the best detector." The only answer to that is, " The detector that is best for you - not the one that is the best for someone else." A detector that is best for someone else can prove to be absolutely lousy for you. The only way to answer your question is to tell you to try another detector that tweaks your interest. That is the only way to find out. Getting someone else's opinion won't help you one bit. Someone else may think the sun rises and sets in a certain detector. You could try the same detector and hate every inch of it.

When I ran the Garrett Classroom years ago there were many folks who had purchased Garretts and hated them until I taught them how to use them properly. If you have mastered the machine you have then you have the jump on many folks ( regardless of brand used ) and changing brands won't accomplish a great deal for you unles you are hunting for specific targets and someone else makes a detector for hunting that specific target and your company doesn't. It's the old " Ford Verses Chevy" syndrome. If you have the urge to try something else then go for it but don't expect miracles. I have used about everything out there and they all do the same thing - "find metal."

One reason Garrett isn't pumping out new detectors everytime the moon changes is the fact that Charles Garrett has tested every detector currently on the market and has yet to find one that does anything his current models can't do as good or better. Look at the Ace 250, an entry level detector at an entry level price - yet it's the hottest selling machine on the market and all the other companies have been beating their brains out trying to catch up. Finding out the merits of another brand, or lack of, is a choice and decision you'll have to make. No one else can make it for you. Good luck in your search.

Bill

They stack up fine. I've currently got 2 Minelab machines (an X-terra 70 and an XS Explorer) The Explorer will pick up targets that are closer together than my GTI, but you've got to swing it slower. The X-Terras have a slightly faster recovery speed than the Ace, which means that I swing the Ace a little bit slower, but only a fraction.
I've always preferred the sound of the audio of the Minelabs over the Garrett's, as well as the numeric display, but the Garrett's have there own nuances in the audio that helps IDing targets.I also prefer the Garrett pinpoint features over the Minelab as you can coax more target info out of them more easily.
I can get closer to metal poles with the Garrett than I can with the Minelabs too.
The Ace with the 9x12 in coil on will give greater depth than the X-Terras too. On tests that I've done on dry sand, on a small coin, I was getting 2 inches greater depth.
The E-Trac is a great detector, but it would take a longer time to learn it's subtleties than a GTI.
Mick Evans.

Garrett is the only manufacturer which has the feature to size a target for you. Uncle Willy pretty well summed it up below.....