Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Garrett Discreminator detector

navydad5

I am about to be loaned an older Garrett MD. The only words on the face plate are Garrett and in bold letters the word Discriminator which I assume is the model name. He says that is a very good coin shooter and in good working condition. It is Sunday evening 2-3-19. I will call Garrett in the morning. Does anyone here know of this model or have any history of use? All help will be appreciated. I will report back whatever information (good or bad or none) after the call. Many thanks.

navydad Oklahoma

I am going to venture a guess that that's circa 1975 to '76-ish. Before the Groundhog era. And it would be a TR discriminator. Your depth, on a dime *might* be 6", if you click @ to retune, and hold the coil perfectly steady (ie.; don't lift or drop in altitude, from the level-at-which you hit the re-tune).

They were good for their era. But are an absolute dinosaur now .

We are headed to a large parking lot and sand beach at a local lake if it warms up. It is 22 now. Thursday is supposed to be 60-65.
More after the hunt.

navydad5

Not sure if this is the one that navydad5 has, but this was Garrett's first discriminator. BFO unit, they released it in 1973. I bought mine around 1975 which was just before the better TR discriminators came out. Had a set discrimination point that was just below nickels. Tone pitch increased for the good stuff, decreased for the trash. It worked out pretty well for coin hunting. Disced out the iron range. Also disced out the foil range which knocked out a lot of the modern trash that we encountered at public sites back then, although pulltabs were pretty plentiful. In air tests the machine would just get a whisper on a dime at 4." Would go about 3" in the soil at the most. Standard (hard wired) coil was 5", although my Jetco with 7" coil wasn't any deeper. Built like a tank and still works.

What a trip down memory lane. Thanx for the depth stat's on that !