Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Garrett GTAx 500 vs 550

A

Anonymous

Hi,
Can anyone tell me the basic difference between the GTAx 500 and 550? I

The only difference I could tell between them is the 550 has belltone audio on tabs and higher conductive targets, no difference in performance. The one I had came with the 8.5 Crossfire coil like the 500's, I believe they now come with the 7X10 as standard. The 550, like the 500 and other GTA models, is not a nugget detector. It transmits at 7.0 khz and is aimed at coin hunting, VLF gold hunting detectors transmit at higher frequencies. Typically 15 khz, like the Garrett Scorpion, and higher. You would be sorely disappointed with either the 500 or 550 as a nugget machine.
JB

I certainly agree if your interested in gold nugget hunting buy a gold nugget machine as they are far superior to coin and relic machines...Basically a marketing ploy Garrett came out with a 550 to replace the 500 and did add the belltone from the previous 1000..New models now coming out do have the new improved coil which may add some depth. In reallity even if buying used certainly 550 is the way to go as he 2 year warranty is transferrable nd may have a portion left. I like the looks of the new coil but haven't heard any feedback on it...In addendum the 500 seemed to last forever nd one can be had used quite reasonably...So your call...

Thanks for the informatives replies. Now I'm thinking White's Quantum XT, MXT or Spectrum XLT. These are supposedly good for coins and gold. I wonder what the tradeoff is--less coins and less gold?
If anyone has experience with these models for coin and nugget shooting your remarks would be appreciated.
Thanks Again!

Actually would recommend a gold nugget machine as most coin and jewelry don't do well..Excepton is the MXT which does a good job on nuggets and is a do it all unit with several modes...