Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Garrett Infinium LS Battery compartment

fishercz20

Ok so I received a slightly used Infinium with regular batteries and the rechargable pack. The reg. Batteries slide in very nicely with plenty of room. The rechargable pack is very tight and I need a small screwdriver to inch them out. Is this normal? Also not sure on the position for them to go in. The connections dont seem to line up like the regular battery pack does. Little help here please. The manual doesnt seem to help much.

Is it the rechargable battery pack that comes from Garrett? If so...it should go in the same as the standard pack.

fishercz20 said:
Ok so I received a slightly used Infinium with regular batteries and the rechargable pack. The reg. Batteries slide in very nicely with plenty of room. The rechargable pack is very tight and I need a small screwdriver to inch them out. Is this normal? Also not sure on the position for them to go in. The connections dont seem to line up like the regular battery pack does. Little help here please. The manual doesnt seem to help much.

Rechargeable batteries come in different brands and capacities and so the size can differ enough to make some a tight fit.
A small cord installed as shown will help retrieve a snug fitting battery pack.
It is fairly easy to insert the battery pack correctly due to the shape of the battery compartment, it will only be operational when inserted correctly.

BatteryHolderPullCord.jpg

ivanll

Yes I have the Garrett rechargable batteries that came with it. The end that has the negative and positive connections also have this foam rubber attached to it. Does that stay on or taken off?

I wouldn't use the rechargeable pack, just use the AA pack and get rechargeables for them like eneloop slow discharges as shown in Ivan's pic. They will fit well. Just don't leave the batteries in them when not using.

Fisher,

I have the same thing on the rechargable pack...the piece of foam. I found that the pack can fit in the unit with the foam on it, but it's really hard to attach the power cord to the pack with the foam on, so I took it off.

My pack fits pretty easily and slides out of the unit when tipping it over, so I am not sure why yours fits that tight.

I have not used that pack, and only charge it up in case. I have been using standard alkalines.

JC

I took mine off also...harder to charge with it on.

I had the same problem. But my pack went dead and I could not get the pack out by hand. I found a coat hanger on the beach parking lot and with it got the pack out.
What I found was the higher rated NiMH cells are indeed larger in diameter and not all 8 cell battery holders are the same size. If you mix the larger cells with the larger holder you get the interference fit.
I found that the holders from both Garrett and Radio Shack (P/N 270-407) work well with my Infinium. I don't know where the shorter and larger (in side to side and thickness measurements) came from but they went to the recycle bin.
Remember: do NOT tighten the "door" too tight, just to the mark, enough to just compress the O-ring a bit to keep the water out and allow easy opening. I use a bit of silicon gel to aid in both water tightness and ease of removal.

I do not use the standaed garrett battery pack any more; Mine were a very tight fit and they did not last very long anyway, not sure why.

I purchased battery holders from Dick Smith and use NiMh 2200 m/ah rechargables.
I found that the stock charger and car charger are constant current chargers and they are working at near their output limit when you use larger than 2500mah batteries and as a result the charger gets very hot and will fail early in its life. So if you stick to 2100 and no larger than 2500 batteries then the chargers will do a propper job of charging without overheating.

Even when the batteries are fully charged the charger will continue to pump a high charge current into the batts; therefore you should not leave the batteries on charge longer than what is necessary to top them up which will be roughly the length of time that the detector has been in use from the initial charge which in a round about sort of way , means that if you have used the detector for say 4 hours then you can put them on charge for 3 to 4 hours. If you have run them down to 1 beep on the battery check then charge them for around 10 hours.

I use an automatic charger that senses when the batteries are full and automically reduces the charge rate to a trickle charge just enough to keep the batteries full, which is handy if I forget to take them off charge,

How long your batteries last will depend on the battery capacity and the type of detecting you are doing. If you are working a high trash area and the detector is sounding off all the time then the batteries will run down faster than if you are detecting in quiet ground conditions.