Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Garrett Infinium LS - Problems?

I was in the same boat , purchased the Infinum LS and nothing but trouble. I was getting false signals on the end of each swing and it would not stay ground balanced. I sent the unit back to Garrett. They replaced the coil and control unit. So Far No More Problems. I expected more from a 1000.00 plus unit.....................
Garrett needs to do something about quality control . This was my first Garrett machine and I am not impressed. I have owned Whites for 25 years with no problems.

The Infinium is more difficult to learn the other Garrett PIs I have owned and it can be hard to tell if the odd signals are normal or if the machine needs repair.

I hunt the same water over and over and the LS will often have different signal responses from day to day.

When the water is still with no swells and a smooth surface, I can almost count on a steady threshold tone.

When it starts kicking up a bit I may have a tough time making sense of the hash of sound in my earphones.

Pin-pointing can be a nightmare under these conditions.

I think it is the salt/mineral concentration getting worse due to wave action and perhaps suspended sand too.

With my old XL 500s I used to dig anything where the signal wasn't huge.

Using the Hi-Low signals etc, I am now being more selective with my digging, a luxury not possible with the old PIs.

I sometimes wonder if there may be good targets being passed up, but so far when I dig one to check it out the LS seems to be on task.

GL&HH Friend,

CJ

I purchased the the Infinium about a year ago and up until today it has been a pain to use. It was sent in for repairs and still I was having trouble even after a new coil and control unit. I was ready to trade it off for something else. Even though the machine was giving false signals and would not stay ground balanced, I was still finding coins, silver jewelery and of course trash ,because of this I was hesitant to give up on the machine. I sent some PM to users of the Infinium and INDASURF sent me the email below: The instructions worked I used my LS at the beach this morning and I am happy to say it was quite even when transitioning from wet to dry sand. That wasn't the case before. I posted the instructions for others that may be having trouble with their Infinium.

This post was from Phil the Admin on that site:

(1) First, turn the unit into the LOCK position. Then listen for any interference and use the frequency adjustments to eliminate any interference. Remember to move the frequency adjustment a small amount and then wait for a small period of time for it to lock in. Remember, there are 32 frequency positions that can be obtained with this control. Once you get use to the unit, you will generally get to know where the quietest spots are and it will come second nature and quick to do this.
(2) Do not try and adjust the frequency control with the unit in Fast or Slow Track. What I have found, is that sometimes the auto track tries to lock onto the interference, making it hard to eliminate it.
(3) Set the threshold so as you can only just here it and set the discrimination to "0" .
Now comes the important steps and if this isn't done correctly, false signals and sounds can occur.
(4) Turn the unit to Fast Track. Move the coil up and down to the sand a few times and place the coil directly onto the sand for about 10 seconds. Then again move the coil up and down to the sand a few more times. You will see that that the ground balance has come in very quickly and should be fairly steady.
(5) Then switch it to Slow Track and then repeat the same procedure as was done in Fast track. This is the fine tuning adjustments.
Please note, when you place the coil directly onto the ground, the unit tends to keep ground balancing the ground effects out, and you will find that it quietens down pretty quick. This is especially more noticable in the high mineralised ground in the goldfields.
(6) Once this has been done, switch the unit to lock.
(7) As the unit was designed for prospecting, it doesn't have the prefixed discrimination set to compensate for salt water effects, as other beach PI units have. If you still get any affects from the salt water, you may have to increase the discrimination up to about "2" to eliminate these false signals. I haven't had any problems with noisy operation going from the dry sand, to the wet sand and into the water with the unit ground balance set correctly. Generally I use it with "0" discrimination set.
(Cool As the unit was designed for prospecting, it has a lot more sensitivity than a normal beach PI unit. To drop the sensitivity, use the threshold and reduce it, even to "0" and this will also help reduce any false signals you may be getting. By doing this, you will not miss any targets normally associated with beach/water detecting, eg:- coins, rings and chains.
(9) If you come to an area in the water that is causing a lot of problems, then ground balance over this problem area and then switch it to lock. This should sort out any problems.

Hi, looking at a used Infinium.
Any problems or issues to consider in a used machine?
Current owner is the second. He reports it's in excellent condition.
What's an appropriate price for a used Infinium? I've asked when it was manufactured and anticipate hearing back shortly.
Any other questions I should be asking?
Thanks in advance.

LarryL