Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Garrett Infinium LS Questions

Batman74

I just purchased an Infinium, I have a couple of questions for those that know this machine. Can you use it successfully around electrical transmission lines? I was having trouble getting a smooth threshold sound while hunting today, around transmission lines. Second, question is any tips for this PI newbie, as to how to set it and or tricks that have made you sucessful? I've been relic hunting/ metal detecting for 40 years, this is my first PI machine. I'm looking forward to seeing what it can do. I plan on using it at the beach next month, any suggestions on using it there also? Thanks for your input and HH. J.C.

Small targets.
Like any small target signals, (Plenty on salt beaches and in the gold fields) if it disappears or moves about after you dug a bit of dirt out then there is something there. If it stays a waver in the same spot after you have dug down several inches then I doubt that it would be a deep metal target. The sig from a deep target will strengthen quickly after going down 6 inches or so. Mineralisation can cause wavers in the threshold but usually this tends to produce eroneous or shifting signals as you sweep across them.
Try slowing the sweep to a crawl at around 1 foot per 2 or 3 sec and see if the sig improves. The Infinium can respond to metal at much slower sweep speed than that, so you will not miss a target by sweeping extremely slowly.

My experience with the Infinium and quiet wavering threshold tones that repeat in the same place each sweep of the coil is that the target is almost always metal.

In extreme iron stone /ore ground the Infinium can produce a long quiet low tones or even some sharp loud low tones, these tones will normally remain unchanged in tone and strength in Rev Discrimination but the signal from gold and other precious metal will weaken.

Using a silent threshold will cause the Infinium to loose depth on weak signals. Target signals with the infinium are always higher than the threshold setting but setting the threshold low will take the peak target signals down.
Setting the threshold to a comfortable hearing level will enable you to hear all of the target signal not just the clipped top on a silent threshold.
Setting a loud threshold can at times make weak signals sharper and easier to hear but how much so depends a little on how good or bad your hearing is.
Even though the threshold is loud the target signal rides on the top of the threshold at all times unlike most other detectors and vlf machines where the threshold can be driven higher than the target signal thereby drowning the target sig.
The frequency used does not affect the sensitivity of the detector because the PPS shift is only several PPS necessary to counter low frequency EMI from mains and other detectors.
If I am chasing weak signals I set the threshold loud but not so loud as to be annoying.
carrying out the freq adjust can be difficult at times because as you approach the correct setting the threshold is difficult to hear especially on a windy day but you need to find the quietest and smoothest setting and then bring the threshold back to zero and then return the disc to zero, then bring the threshold to the level you want.
Do the frequency adjust first in Lock and then do the GB in fast or slow track. If you try to GB when there is EMI the detector can sometimes try to ground track the EMI making good GB almost impossible.
ALWAYS do the GB with the Disc set at zero.
If you are not able to get spot on GB then winding in a small amount of Disc up to one or two (after GB )can often quieten the machine down that last little bit by taking out the effect of some alkali salts that is often found in the gold fields. This can also help at the beach as well. A stting no higher than 3 will often help in reducing the effects of wet salt beach sand.

The 10 x 14 mono is a good beach coil but is not so flash in the waves due to the tendancy of the coil to flip up. The 8 inch mono is an excellent general purpose coil and is capable of very good depth on coins and rings.

I advise you to dig all targets until you become familiar with the tones.....and after you become familiar with the tone I advise you to DIG ALL TARGETS.:cheers:

Also a good informative article here.
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,384975.0.html

I am not sure if this lnk is allowed so you better copy it quick.

I GB in slow mode, then set the threshold as in Fisher Ghost's post above, for an audible tone and adjust DISC up to no more than 3 to reduce and influence salt water waves have on the detector. As for 60Hz EMI (power lines) No problems in the water for me. There is one beach the Acela train runs close to and gave bad EMI to Excals and Aquanauts, but I had no problems with the Infinium.

8" mono coil for slow working of winter waters and the 12" DD for summer recent drops.
I do cherry pick high-low tones in the dead of winter when digging is very tough and the temps very cold. UNLESS there are so few signals, I have to dig to keep warm.

Good luck next week and take time to learn the Infinium and it WILL rewards you with great hunts.

Something to remember if you are gold nugget hunting with the Infinium:

Small high purity nuggets up to approx 10 g will give a Hi/Lo tone in Normal mode and and a weaker Hi/Lo in Rev Disc or may Disc out completely.
Large high purity nuggets will give a Lo/Hi tone in Normal and give a weaker Lo/Hi tone in rev Disc.

Hot rocks will often give either a Lo/Hi or HI/Lo tone in Normal that remains unchanged in Rev disc

Some steel bottle caps give Very strong signals in Normal Mode and Disc out almost completely in Rev disc ....(handy to know at the beach).
Bobby pins give a typical double sharp hi/lo tone in one direction of coil sweep and a strong signal 90° rotated from that.
Sparkler wire and tent pegs give a strong Lo/HI in both modes.....A bit like large gold nuggets.

I find that it is best to dig all targets until you have become very familiar with the Infinium.