Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

garrett pi machine

bacardi said:
is the discrim any good on these garrett seahunters as been reading discrim no good on a pi machine

very effective fully adjustable discrim.!

He ran a Garrett Seahunter for several seasons with very good results and knows that unit very well. He has some helpful advice on how to run that machine and how the discrimination works on that PI unit.

Hope you don't mind me giving you a plug GH !

Hey bacardi,

The discrimination aspect on the Sea Hunter Mark II is not recommended. I NEVER used it either. I used the Mark IIs my 1st 2 seasons('04-'05) water hunting with great results.

Unfortunately, PIs have not reached that level of accurately discriminating without losing desirable targets(fine gold in particular). I set the unit to 0 Discrimination/Elimination, Threshold/Volume to just audible and Standard Trash Elimination for the best results. I was able to recover enough pieces to make things interesting too!

The BEST possible discrimination with most all PIs is actually your ears, or audibly. Try and REALLY concentrate on the sharper, round sounding targets and those will be your best signals and whispers are good too(if the wind noise through the headphones will allow you to hear it). The double beeps and more elongated signals will usually be iron, HOWEVER it IS possible top get fooled. I pretty much dug EVERYTHING for about 1 year to make SURE I was really able to leave something behind with confidence and this has helped me using other brands tremendously.

Just an FYI: The Mark II coil of choice for me was the standard 8" mono, but it MUST be coated with Loctite Marine Epoxy with a coat of bed liner to protect the bottom from over-abraiding into the stock epoxy(there is no coil cover for the 8" mono). If you don't protect it, then it will abraid through the coil and separate the plastic shielding from the epoxy and the unit will false.

Best of luck out there mate!