Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Garrett Pinpointer probs..

My Garrett pinpointer's been acting up. I turn it on to spot the dig point, get a nice buzz, set it down, and it continues to click. Even when I pick it up, it continues. I've tried the trick of only turning it on close to the target. This helps until I set it down, then it sounds off a slow steady click maybe half the time. I checked the battery when I got home; it was 8.7V, so it was still fairly fresh, and no corrosion inside. It hasn't gotten wet, or been dropped, and it's out of warranty. Anybody had one repaired, or is it just an easy fix?:help:

Even though the battery shows that voltage might try a new one because as soon as it is turned on the amp draw on the battery could drop just a thought may not be the problem but I would try it first but I would also contact Garrett and see if they can still cover it under warrenty they are a great company and bendover backwards to make things good .

BarryL said:
Even though the battery shows that voltage might try a new one because as soon as it is turned on the amp draw on the battery could drop just a thought may not be the problem but I would try it first but I would also contact Garrett and see if they can still cover it under warrenty they are a great company and bendover backwards to make things good .
Thanks. I did put in a new battery, Just haven't had a chance to try it, yet. When it was working right, the battery would work down to about 8.1 to 8.2V, before it needed changing.

I was having the same problem with mine. It was driving me nuts until I wiped the little bit of dirt off that always gets stuck on the side of the scraper and it stopped. There must have been tiny metal fragments in the dirt stuck on it. Hope that helps.

Sometimes laying the Pro Pointer on it's side exposes the whole barrel to the minerals in the soil, and it then sounds off. I aways shut mine off.

John-Edmonton said:
Sometimes laying the Pro Pointer on it's side exposes the whole barrel to the minerals in the soil, and it then sounds off. I aways shut mine off.
I hunt trashy areas where this is often the case, but my Pro Pointer continues to buzz, slightly, even when I pick it up. Turn it off, back on, the buzzing stops. But then, I loose the modified sensitivity setting I got by turning it on close to the target. I used to be able to set the Pro Pointer very close to the target, leave it on, and search thru my dirt pile until I almost touched what I was looking for before I got any buzz. This is very handy for tiny, dirt covered objects (Usually worthless, like spent .22 bullets, or split shot fishing sinkers. Or my one tiny piece of quartz/gold, almost discarded, until I got home and scrubbed the dried mud off). Did you ever wish the Pro Pointer had a sensitivity adjustment when you were checking inside a hole, and can't get it to shut up? It does. Turn it off, and on, inside the hole, near where you think your target is.
I digress. Anyway, I put in a new battery, and scrubbed the outside clean, checked the battery contacts for corrosion, and will give it another try tomorrow.:beers:

I had this and fixed it unscrew battery compartment place 2p coin into screw end which presses battery connection snug and this will stop the buzzing when not on the target- it's a loose connection as the little round foam thing falls out of place on inside cap

petesutton said:
I had this and fixed it unscrew battery compartment place 2p coin into screw end which presses battery connection snug and this will stop the buzzing when not on the target- it's a loose connection as the little round foam thing falls out of place on inside cap
Hoooray! What little foam piece? It was gone! What I used was the 50 cent sized foam center I removed from one of my coin holders. It just fit nicely inside the cap diameter. A quick check in my garage with the Pro Pointer looks like that fixed the problem.
What a great tip. Thank you. I love this forum...:clapping::clapping::clapping:

You are welcome cyber fish we learn by experience and that was an experience for me I can tell you - even bought new pro pointer so have a spare now

This seems to be a common problem with the GPP. Mine is in the box to go back for repair, as it was beeping uncontrollably at times. I bought a VibraProbe 580 & really like it. The range is slightly less than the GPP, but its not a problem. Will use the GPP as backup when I get it fixed.