Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Garrett Pro-Pointer AT "Orange Carrot" Pin-pointer Battery Life.

ToddB64

My subject pin-pointer seems to be draining batteries prematurely, and always has, so I finally decided to
see if others are experiencing the same behavior with this model.

#1.. I acquired this unit a little over 4 years ago, and have always used it at maximum sensitivity, with audio.

#2.. I've always used Energizer Max Alkaline batteries, and test them on a ZTS model MBT-1 Pulse-Load
tester prior to every hunt and never use a battery that reads below 60%, because the signal reach is diminished.

#3.. SPECIFICATIONS state Battery Life: Alkaline: 30 hours, and Operating Temperatures: -35°F (-37°C) to 158°F (70°C).

#4.. I never hunt when the temperature is below 30°F ( -1.1C ), and this is much warmer than -35°F.

If you decide to share your experience, Thanks ! ;)

ToddB64

My batteries last a long time, probably six months which equals about 40 plus hours of use. I don't change the battery until the detector starts going wacky.

I use batteries that were used for a couple of church services and then replaced. I get considerable use out of those used batteries in my Garret Carrot. Are your batteries being used up or is the cushion in the cap not holding the battery tight enough against the contacts. I had to put a quarter inside the cap to cause the battery to make good contact.

My thought is you are changing the battery out quite early. I average about 3 weeks of hunting using Duracell Copper Tops. I, however, hunt almost everyday and average 3.5-4 hours per hunt. I, though, never replace the battery until the Carrot won't shut down or won't stay on. Indicators the battery is about gone. I also don't feel I am loosing enough depth to merit changing the battery out with 50% of battery life still left. HH jim tn

I never buy Energizer Max batteries preferring to use Duracell Coppertop or the alkaline batteries I get from Costco, and have had exceptional performance with those made for Albertsons grocery. Like the others mentioned, I don't replace the 9 volt until my pinpointer lets me know it's about to die. And I don't test them routinely before I go out to use them, since I use them frequently enough that I'll be able to hear the indication when they get tired

I do sometimes use my AT Pro Pointer with some other detector models but most of the time they are used with the Z lynk MS3 headphones, and I use them with both speaker and vibrate combined. They last a long time, any decent brand alkaline battery, will last a long time.

But I do add the reminder that a pinpointer is basically a momentary-use tool. I met a fellow who complained about short battery life with his pinpointer powered with a 9 volt battery, but the reason was he would leave his pinpointer on all the time. He wouldn't just use it to locate a Target and turn it off, he just left it on full time while he was out detecting and that, naturally, ran his battery life down.

Sometimes, if we have a very cold winter that makes it too cold to go out detecting or the ground is too frozen or snow-covered for a month or so, I start the year out with a brand new alkaline battery. Then, depending on how often I need to use a pinpointer, which is not on every target located, I will usually replace one or two 9 volt batteries a year.

Monte

I use a "carrot" and the batts. seem to last a long time. Finally I change it whether it needs it or not. I love the pointers but you can always "go old fashion" and use the detector.

Thanks to everyone who has replied so far with their experiences about the battery life in their Garret Pro-Pointer AT.

I started using Energizer Max Alkaline batteries when I first got my Garrett Pro-Pointer AT over 4 years ago, because that's what a Garrett Customer Service Technician recommended I use, however I'll try GeorgeinSC's suggestion of adding something on the foam rubber pad in the end cap to assure good positive contact of the battery terminals. If that doesn't prolong battery strength and concomitant signal reach, I'll try jim tn and Monte's preference of using Duracell Coppertop's.

I have always routinely turned OFF my Garrett Pro-Pointer AT after each use during target recovery to extend battery life.
In addition, I always use my RatPhones Max, Dual Stereo-Mono 2-Cup Headphones with the volume control knob on each cup adjusted to max. I purchased these headphones from DETECT USA/Rick Viola in July, 2008 and then had new Silicone earpads installed in July, 2019 by Jeff Herke, Suwanee, GA, and I like the Silicone pads a lot and Jeff's workmanship is excellent.

As for my pin-pointer telling me when it's time to replace the battery, I use the following method. First, when I plan to go treasure hunting, I either take along two new batteries, testing them at home with my ZTS Pulse load tester to be sure they are at 100%, or I go through my used battery stock to find two batteries that still test 100% or 80% and then use the best of these high test batteries for my Garrett Pin-pointer and the remaining one for my Bandido II µMax metal detector, as long as it's not below 60%. Otherwise, I test and use the best battery I have for the pin-pointer and the next best for the metal detector. Sometimes this means that I use a 60% battery for the metal detector and carry along an extra 60% battery as a replacement if needed.

Now, when I'm hunting afield I check the signal strength and reach of my pin-pointer, i.e. when it goes Beep on a 14K Gold wedding ring I'm wearing to see how many inches away when I get a Beep as a base line test, and then recheck that distance at each subsequent target dig. I test against a Gold ring knowing that it's a more difficult test than a silver or steel target, but since I'm primarily hunting for gold Jewelry anyway, that's what I do.

ToddB64

i use dollar general battery's in mine they last & work well
& there reasonably inexpensive