Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Garrett probe vs Whites vs Detector Pro

sweet that was a real eye opener :crazy: i know which pin pointer im getting next thanks for the share.

slave2.jpg

First of all, the Garrett Pro-Pointer gets much more then an inch on a coin sized object. And second of all, it has only "ONE" button to use, that automatically tunes it/powers it on/off. On a coin sized object, the PRO-POINTER lets you know that you are right on top of the target with great accuracy. When a pinpointer has the sensitivity to detect a target at 6 or 7 inches away, things like wet ground conditions, mineralized soil, etc.. will cause interference. Can you image if you were near a swing set on a playground and were near one of the metal legs and trying to pinpoint a target?

In a trashy area, I don

Wouldn't want that dude digging in my yard, looks like he was digging a huge pit! :shrug: Nice find on the coin though.

I'd dig a pit 5' deep to get a coin like that. I'd never heard of the pistol probe. Looks like it blows away the others in that test.

I am a little shocked he had to dig a hole that wide to get a coin 8 inches down. My Pro-Pointer air tests on a silver 2 real coin at 2 1/4 inches. If I knew where onewas buried I'd go test it in the field. That Pistol Probe Pinpointer is nice though. It retails for $190 bucks FYI. I wonder why he didn't use the Sun Ray too.

One of the best treasure hunting videos I've seen except for those posted by our guys here. Makes me feel like detecting even though I'm sore and it's pretty cool out!

Chris

For what it's worth, here's my comparison of the two pinpointers I have:

I have a Treasure Mate and for the most part I like it. It has Tesoro's lifetime warranty which is a HUGE plus when it comes to a pinpointer. I've had it about five months and had to send it in for repair a couple months ago. They replaced the ground balance and tuning pots and recalibrated the unit. To Tesoro's credit, it came back working even better than it did when it was new.

It has some things I really don't like:

1. You have to remove the four screws and take off the bottom cover like you do to change the batteries to change the mode from vibrate to audio and vice versa. Also you cannot put it in both modes at the same time, you have to pick one or the other.

2. The 9V battery fits really tightly and is a pain to change.

3. The two knobs for tuning and ground balancing turn really easily and do so just about every time you put the pinpointer away after using it until you put O-rings on them to keep them from moving so easily.

4. The on/off switch is a rocker type knob which I have accidentally turned off (and on) a few times.

I just got a Garrett Pro-Pointer. I've only hade a chance to use it a couple times, but from my limited time with it I definitely like it better than the Treasure Mate. The only negative from my perspective is that you can't turn the audio off, it always vibrates and beeps.

The Pro Pointer gives a little more depth than the Treasure Mate and it detects up the sides too whereas the Mate is mostly in the tip.

The Pro-Pointer is basically turn on and go which I like better but I guess in some applications like gold prospecting it wouldn't be as effective without the ground balancing. Battery replacement is apparently very simple: just unscrew the bottom and drop in a new battery.

The Pro-Pointer seems very sturdy and solid, but it does only have a two year warranty vs. the lifetime for the Treasure Mate.

Garrett dealers are selling the Pro-Pointer for $127 and change with free shipping and extras including a pouch, brass probe and a couple of Charles Garrett's little books. If I recall the Treasure Mate with free shipping was $160 something by itself.

To sum it up, I'd give the Pro-Pointer the edge in how well it works, in cost and in user-friendliness. I'd give the Treasure Mate the edge as far as the warranty.

Put a piece of tape over the speaker. It should work well on gold as it operates in all metal and with a frequency of 12 khz.

Bill

Oh well let me put my 2 cents worth in here. First of all I have a detector that would have read that coin at that depth and i sure as hex would not have to make a plug the size of the one he dug. The next step is to dig it up without hitting the coin with the shovel. A pinpointer does what it says it does (pinpoints) so what i need in a pinpointer is to let me know when i am getting close to the coin so i do not damage it while trying to retrieve it. My Garrett metal detector will give me a pretty close depth of the coin so i dig a little less than what the detector says in this case i would dig 7 inches down and then use my Pro-Pointer to carefully dig the coin up without damaging the coin. In a metal detector you would want it to go as deep as it can but a pinpointer you do not need to go that far because most targets have trash around it and it would read on everything but what you are looking for.

David

This video has been given a fairly resounding hammering at other locations that it's been posted to as well. I hope that you haven't taken it to heart Lovepulltabs as well as the chap in the video. Rather I hope that the chap digging the plug has learned that such a plug will land him in hot water with local authorities as well as effecting the rest of us.
It would have been wise to show how the Sunray went against the other units as well, as this would have added a better balance to the demonstration and stopped some negative feedback.
Lovepulltabs; I hope that the negative responses that you have had won't put you off posting, as I know what it's like to get bagged out by your peers. It's happened to me a few times and is not pleasant. It's easy when we are posting, to forget that the folks posting and talking to you on the other end of the computer, have real feelings and can be upset by thoughtless words. I know that no ill intent has been meant by anybody here, but with too many negative views, the end result can seem to have the same effect.
All the best.
Mick Evans

Hi Mick, I was just posting that video because I found it quite different from other detecting videos I've seen. I know for a fact that my SunRay probe gets 3" on my CZ-3D, I've got a cheap cen-tech probe that gets at least 1.5". As far as the guy digging the manhole cover plug, I definitely don't agree with that, especially with no towel down to put the dirt back into the hole. I have friends that have used this pistol probe and they say it's deep and well built. You can see from the video that it air tests quite well. I suppose only time will tell as these probes just came out. Everybody always has an opinion, I like dealing in facts and the fact is this probe is detects much deeper than any other hand held probe out there now, thanks again Mick for the kind words but nobody is going to hurt my feelings here talking about detecting equipment, this is the Garrett forum and the users have their opinions, the Fisher forum has theirs and on and on!

Your Sun Ray should get better depth than that. You do know it's a motion detector and the faster you whip it over a target the deper it goes - up to five inches.

Bill

I'm glad to hear it. Sometimes it's hard to judge where folks are at, and I saw the same video get slammed over on the Whites forum. I'm not sure who posted that one.
I've got a pocket UniProbe myself and know how good it is. It looks like the Pistol Grip goes another inch deeper and doesn't have the cable, which is a real plus. A friend of mine ordered the Pro Pointer a couple of days ago, but thought that it was deeper than it is. I've offered to swap him if he's not happy, as he wants it for gold hunting. To me, the Pro pointer has it's own advantages anyway. While I prefer depth, but it'll be handy to use a more compact unit, which means that I'm more likely to go out the door with it.
Mick Evans.

I'm fairly new to detecting but one of the first things I learned was to take "field tests" with a grain of salt. It's kind of like reading a car dealership review written by the newspaper advertising editor.

But in the case of the Garrett Pro-Pointer, it lives up to the field test praise you see on this forum.

In just a couple trips out I'm totally impressed with both its' performance, ease of use and solid construction.

The only negative for me is that you can't turn the speaker off.

Yes, I wrapped a couple pieces of gaffers tape over the speaker and it doesn't scream any more but it's still audible.

Really not a big deal for most places I hunt. Especially since that's the only negative for me.

A former sunray user here. I find the pro pointer to be faster at targeting a find, in or out of a hole. The way it tracks is impressive. I like to recover finds as efficient as possible and get back to swinging, not fumbling around with settings or getting cables snagged in the brush. I cant tell you how many times Ive walked around for a minute to find out i didn't switch back over to the coil. I like the pro pointer just fine.