Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

GARRETT SCORP BAGS A WATCH

KevinH

Saturday started out to be a nice day for prospecting. Packed up the Garrett Scorpion and headed to a GPAA Claim located in Keysville, California. Keysville is not much of what it was back when it was a mining town. Most of the buildings have been relocated and you wouldn't even think of it being a mining town unless you researched the area on the Internet.

Keysville (or Keyesville) is located 2.0 miles up Keyesville Road from its junction with California Highway 155 at Lake Isabella dam.

A mine was located c.1854 by Captain Richard Keyes, which soon lead to Keysville, the first American community in what eventually became Kern County. A camp formed in random fashion over the hillsides, trails served as streets. The area was so remote and steep, that supplies coming in from the nearest settlement of Visalia (110 miles northwest) had trouble because the terrain was so steep and rugged teams had to be doubled, logs had to be drug behind the wagons to keep control on the way down.

In 1856 an Indian war ensued when San Joaquin tribes went on the warpath, and Keysville became the center of Indian attention due to the fact that miners killed 5 Indians in cold blood nearby. A "fort" was hastily dug on a knoll and riders dispatched to Fort Tejon and Los Angeles (140 miles south) for reinforcements. Later, when soldiers arrived, they found no Indians in the area and occupied Keysville for a while afterward.

Another incident of Indian murder was in 1863 when Indian uprisings in Owens Valley, over the Sierra Nevada Range northeastward. Men were dispatched to help with squelching that problem when they encountered a group of peaceful Indians, who had refused to participate in the Owens Valley uprisings, living seven miles from town. They coldly murdered the group and proclaimed "not a soldier injured."

Near Keys mine grew a rustic frontier town that was the first American community in what is now Kern County. Without formal streets, its rough wooden stores were scattered at random over the hillslope while miner's cabins dotted the mountainside above. This was one of most remote settlements in California, 110 miles to the nearest town of Visalia in one direction, 140 miles to Los Angeles in another. Reached by a dirt road, this pioneer mining camp is marked only by a few houses of comparatively recent vintage. In a gulch to the north of town is the entrance to the Keys Mine, discovered in 1854.

So now you can understand why I like this area. They say to find gold you must go where they have found gold before.

Saw quite a few people working their dry washers as we drove around the perimeter of Keysville. I decided to hit once again the CLC claim that I have worked before. There was not one person there. Just me, the wife and my trusty metal detectors. I figured due to reading more on recovering gold metal detecting, I thought maybe a edge.

I started to work a known gulch where I had worked before. This time using some of the knowledge gained from reading and researching.

Checked my batteries and headed out. Noticed a built up area where the rocks were stacked neatly on the side. Could have been an old homestead I thought. Worked those rocks and found the normal hits. Rusty square nails and rusty cans. Noticed a dry stream bed below, searched the bed in hopes of getting a hit for possible gold. I did get some hits but more of the norm, rusty cans and rusty nails.

Still exploring the area, I started searching the bottom area of a dry stream. Within 20 minutes I received a good hit. As I gently dug thinking probably just another rusty can, noticed a hint of silver. Could this be a coin? Nope no coin but a watch looked to be old so I placed it gently in my pouch. It was a fair find. Heck better than finding more cans and rusty nails. Hunted the area for another four hours taking a break every now to admire the watch I found. I was hoping it would be old, or better yet held a picture inside. Went on the top of the gulch looked around and you guessed it found more rusty cans, nails, bed frames and even some bottle caps severely rusted. Searched the area for another four hours, decided to call it a day. Have to leave something for when I return! Some pics of the cleaned up watch.

For more than a century, the E. Ingraham Company was a prominent family-operated manufacturer of clocks and watches, with headquarters and plants located in Bristol, Connecticut. Most of its employees were natives of the Bristol region, and members of the Ingraham family of Bristol controlled its management.

The company underwent numerous reorganizations and name changes, particularly during the 19th century. It was founded in 1831, when Elias Ingraham (1805-1885) opened his own shop in Bristol as a cabinetmaker and designer of clock cases. In 1841, Benjamin Ray and Andrew Ingraham founded Ray and Ingraham, and hired Elias Ingraham, whose business had succumbed to financial difficulties, as a case maker and designer. This firm was succeeded in 1844 by Brewster and Ingrahams, with Elisha Brewster, a clock movement maker, joining Andrew and Elias Ingraham as partners, succeeded this firm in 1844. In 1852, the company name was changed to E. and A. Ingraham. When fire destroyed their plant in 1855, the Ingrahams relocated temporarily in Ansonia, Connecticut, returning to Bristol in 1857. The company name continued to change: Elias Ingraham and Company (1857-1860), E. Ingraham and Company (1861-1880), and E. Ingraham and Company (1881-1884). From 1884 to 1958, the period during which most of the surviving company records were created, the firm was known as E. Ingraham Company. In 1958, the name was changed to Ingraham Company, and in November 1967, when the company was sold to McGraw Edison Company, it became Ingraham Industries.

Thanks Quarterhorse. I thought the same.