Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Garrett Sea Hunter MK II?

cabochris

I'm in the process of selecting a pulse detector. Assuming that the discrimination knob on the Sea Hunter MK II is a pulse delay, does anybody know what the MKII's range of pulse delay settings are, from low to high? Thanks, CC.

There is no pulse delay on a Mark II that I know of. Discrete Trash Elimination will lose gold, I ONLY used the Standard Trash Elimination & ran the Disc/Elimination on 0. The unit does not really, "discriminate" unless you are willing to cut the gold, why bother? It is a noisy PI in the surf too. The sweep has to be stopped when a wave passes by so you do not miss a signal, as it reads the mineralization in the waves apparently. Don't get me wrong, it is a capable unit and I ran them exclusively '04-'05, they WILL get the job done.

Thanks for the good info. If discrimination on the MK II is not a form of delay control, then I wonder what the delay is set at on the Sea Hunter? 15? 20? I have watched several videos of the MK II on-line and thought the threshold seemed very steady? That's what caught my interest along with the removable headphones and 14 mono coil. Plus unlike some other PIs, Sea Hunter MK II on-line reviews seem glowing.

So far I got very little info from Garrett. I asked them some very specific questions on the MK II and did not get satisfactory answers, yet. That is sort of a turn-off to buy. But I do like the looks/configuration of the MK II. Since Mr. Bill told me that the Aquasearch is no longer available until who knows when?, my pulse choice will be between the Sea Hunter and Whites DF. Leaning towards the DF. But a problem for me with the Whites water machines are that the factory yellow headphones pinch my ears! I'm still trying to find out if the GG water phones can be used on a DF? They fit over my ears. On the other hand, the Garrett water phones fit me comfortably too. CC.

Hey Chris, you are welcome. I could not say for sure what the delay is, but I never knew it to be adjustable. If had to guess probably set to 15-20, like you suggested earlier. The threshold IS steady, till you get out into the water, then every time a wave passes over the coil it rises. It is nothing that cannot be easily overcome though, I just stopped the swing till the wave passed. Removable headphones and coil are NICE features and eases your ability to perform self-diagnosis and make a repair easily while at the beach, assuming that you HAVE the back-up parts to R&R. The 10X14" mono was a disaster, ESPECIALLY IN the water. It is TOTALLY unruly in the surge, flops and is too hard to control. I got rid of it and went back to the 8" QUICK! It would probably be fine for wet sand, but a poor choice for in the surf, imo.

Does not make sense that Garrett would not have the answers to your questions or be able to answer? White's DF is looking better and better to me, but I STILL have reservations about that pie plate on there. What can I say.....I'm an 8" coil kinda guy. I HATE large coils. The Infinium sounds interesting to me too and it is probably #1 on my PI hit list, ESPECIALLY since the 8" mono is available, but I won't be taking the 10X14" mono or double D. This guy is in the process of developing performance Peltor headphones for the Infinium as I understand it. OldBeechnut
You might consider PM-ing him and see if he ever finished, perhaps he could counsel you on an alternative headphone arrangement.
Also, you should know there is NO coil cover for the Mark II and if you do not apply Loctite Marine Epoxy or bed liner, you will quickly wear though the stock epoxy and the unit will false. Just an fyi.
[attachment 164257 IMG_0006.JPG]
Here is an action shot from the archives, circa 2005.