Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

GB & Mineralization Index - Related to Settings

earthmansurfer

Can some of you more experienced users share how you use the GB reading and the Mineralization Index to select your frequency, sensitivity, reactivity, etc? (My GB btw seems to be in the 80-90 range mostly, sometimes dropping quickly into the 70's and the mineralization index is usually empty and ranges up to 3 bars. Sometimes the index goes up to the halfway point for brief periods. I didn't pump the coil to get this though.)

The manual states that to get a good mineralization index reading you should pump your coil. And if it is highly mineralized (what range constitutes that on the index?) then Deus Fast is a good choice (Read that on a forum).

I have also seen it mentioned that ground below 80 is getting difficult and also to use Deus Fast. Is that true?

Well, the above is a start but can anyone add to that? Like a range and some experiences, settings and what the GB and Mineralization Index read?

In other words, as the GB drops.... As the mineralization index increases.... etc. Just a guide please, as I'm sure this can be complicated as ground really varies.

Thanks,
Albert

Albert I would think that ground lower than 80 ground ballance is getting better with less mineralization that is why sand and beaches are in the teens and twenties. Higher than 80-90 is tough ground and that is why the factory setting of 90 for ground ballance on the Deus and some other fixed GB machines from other companies. Mine here in the Adirondacks in upstate N.Y. is around the mid 80's.

Oops, thanks for that Tom. I went out today for 3 hours or so and the ground varied from 0 to 3 bars to the halfway point on the index. The GB was again mostly from 80 to 90. It was quite jumpy so I just pumped every so often and most times it settles down to 83-85. I started in tracking but it seemed to often go to 90 and then when I pumped it settled on 85 ish. I dug some foil at a measured 1ft, I was a bit shocked. Also dug a few no VID targets - but not of them were anything good. I'll post a video of some of the goodies and non goodies later.

Is there a general trend to increase the frequency with an increasing GB and Mineralization Index or ??? I'd just like a general rule to help along. I don't have a problem getting the sensitivity up there (not with any detectors in this soil actually, so though the ground might be bad the iron mineralization seems manageable - and the detector isn't chatty. I was able to run sensitivity at 95 with little chat today. The VID was jumpy though on medium depth signals - so I was trying to focus on the sounds. I'll play with lowering the sensitivity to see if that calms things down but on deeper signals it did help upping it - tested that out.)

Thx,
Albert

Hi Albert. For me, the mineralization Index plays no role in what KHz I run in. I pick my KHz based on what type of targets I'm going after. Coin = 12 KHz, gold = 18 KHz, Relic = 8 or 4 KHz. My other settings are based on whether I'm trying to get max depth or not. Lower GB settings will increase your depth, but the lower you go, the more unstable it becomes. If the area that I'm hunting is really nasty, I'll GB using pumping every 15 or 30 mins or so. For less mineralized ground, I'll sent my GB manually as low as possible without loosing stability to gain max depth.

There is a really good post on what settings to run when going after max depth. If you have not read it yet, here is the info.

How to gain more depth with the Xp deus
Posted by: Finder82 [ Send a Message ]
Date: April 08, 2012 12:25AM

I agree with ET Virginia. I too use 12khz so far as I mainly coin hunt. Haven't fiddled with GB yet. I just left it on factory 90 but after what Virginia stated I may try to see where it will read at or set it to 80 to 85 myself like my other detectors read it at.

Thanks for the comments guys. I know the thread Steve but thanks for reminding me, it needs a bookmark. Looks like my ground is at 83 or so on average, like you Tom. I also have been using the 12kHz frequency in GM Power (program 2). I check targets in Deus Fast just to see if they clear up due to iron and sometimes they do - really makes a difference. I took basic one and made it with zero disc and changed the freq to 4kHz. I use that program to find a clean place to pump the coil for GB and I'm experimenting with using the low frequency for checking iron (and coins). Haven't really noticed a difference iron yet. Most targets come in softer in 4kHz though and they aren't deep.

I am having a problem digging small shallow targets (but hey I've had that problem with all my detectors). The Deus' signal is shorter than I'm used to so it's going to take time for my ears to adjust to that. I am starting to like the sounds, again it takes time to adjust. I'd say the Deus sounds are quite unique, much like how I found the E-Tracs sounds unique at first.

Albert tried to GB tonight by turning it on and letting it run a bit and the upper black square said like 83-86 for GB so I took and manually lowered it from 90 and tried it at 80 first but with stock 90 sensitivity which I haven't tried changing yet it was chattery. I looked to see where it read the ground at and it said 86 so I set it there manually and it still was chattery so I put the GB back to factory 90 setting and it ran quiet. I will leave it there from now on and just give a look see to see what it reads the ground as at different spots when I go detecting at different locations and I may try adjusting it some to see how it behaves in those locations. I use program #2 think it's gm power program and I run at 12khz. I upped the iron from 3 to 4 raised the disc. from 6.8 to 10 and use 3 tones and set low tone to 200, middle tone to 400, and high tone to 791 which is the max so I can really tell the difference in the sounds when sweeping.

I will play with "reactivity" and try 3 instead of the stock 2 setting and see how that is. I have tried the "Deus Fast" #3 program and also set it to 12khz and I liked it too so these are the only 2 programs I have tried and or used myself. Basically they are pretty much the same except the reactivty setting and something else so I may just save "MY Gm Power Program" and mainly use that and match it with the "Deus Fast Program" so I only have to switch back and forth between the 2 on the fly and have a reactivity change and or frequency change being the only difference between the two.