Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

GB Notch Reject...how can it help? :shrug:

CZconnoisseur

An update from v2.0 to v3.x includes a feature called "ground reject" where a user can accept/reject hot rocks, etc and also to reduce the effect of sudden impacts with the coil and say, a tree on an errant swing.

I went to the XP website to try and understand the concept, but couldn't grasp what this was good for. Even went on YouTube where a Deus user demonstrated and explained how this feature could help out in a trashy setting. Could someone please explain this to me in layman's terms? If you reject a certain range of GB what exactly happens?

Going back to the roller coaster area tonight for a couple of hours with hopefully a little better detecting resolution and maybe a better understanding of this feature. Thanks in advance!

Is there a notch for ground balance? Never seen that......

There is a Notch (up to 3 of them) that you can set to eliminate specific VDI ranges, say something is 32, you can notch out 31 to 34 for example.....

Jim

I was just testing the GB Notch yesterday around some Ironstone dikes in the Mojave desert. I GB notched from 85-90 and it did a good job of eliminating the ground noise from the ironstone dike.

goldbrick said:
I was just testing the GB Notch yesterday around some Ironstone dikes in the Mojave desert. I GB notched from 85-90 and it did a good job of eliminating the ground noise from the ironstone dike.

We don't have mineralization like that here in West TN, but the concept should be similar when hunting in trashy, iron infested sites up to a point. Some of the smaller iron bits when using low Disc settings may make the detector chatty in some programs.

GB Notch does help eliminate hot rock response - as an experiment yesterday I went to the roller coaster area and notched out 85-90 like you did and it seemed to run a lot smoother! Found some clad around 4-6" with a lot of rust stains on some of the coins - so it's very possible keeping it around 90 was hurting depth and separation. Ironically, the two old coins (1919 and 1935 wheat) were found between 1-2" with no trash - but honestly I'm more pleased with the deeper and smaller finds amongst the iron.

SO tonight I may run 80-90 GB notch and see if the falsing gets to be too much! But to me, running at 85 GB notch DID seem to quiet the detector down AND improve separation in the smaller iron - while at the same time deep iron becomes more of a nuisance. This is not a site to dig deep iron - and the 4kHz adjacent program almost always nails it every time.

I'll post what I find out - but if this helps in trashy sites then I'm all for it and don't mind sharing what I discover!

Will ground balance notching 80 or 85 to 90 notch out your silver finds as well?

DukeOBass said:
Will ground balance notching 80 or 85 to 90 notch out your silver finds as well?

No, GB notch simply means that Deus will never run higher than the GB limit you set.

I misunderstood how the GB was displayed - the upper right number is the "scanned ground reading" where I thought it was "current GB setting". The bottom right number is your "current GB setting" and GB notch lets you control its upper limit; if you notch it 85-90, then the bottom right number will never exceed "85" - meaning one could run a little more sensitive but potentially quieter at the same time - at the expense of increased deep iron falsing (I hope I understand this correctly but this is what I observed last night).

This has nothing to do with VDIs of scanned targets but if I understand it correctly you can use it to further fine tune Deus for a specific area - especially trashy sites. I've never seen a learning curve as involved as Deus, but the rewards are amazing!

I had no idea, glad you asked about this!

"Ground Balance setting in the MANUAL or TRACKING mode is complimented by the Notch Ground feature which allows a user to add a variable notch on the ground balance scale between 82 and 90. In other words, with the "window" of ground values to be rejected, all the ground values below the setting will be accepted (page 40 of the Deus v3.0 User's Manual). This Notch Ground feature is primarily designed for eliminating false signals caused by hot rocks or other ground conditions."

Jim