Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

GB Pro, differentiate hotrocks and gold?

David

My friend has Minelab GPX-4500 and it cannot handle the hotrocks in a certain area, even with a DD coil. The numerous hotrocks(about one every 5 feet he said) give loud signals and sound just like gold.

He wants me to ask if the GOLD BUG PRO with identify those hotrocks on all its TID numbers on the screen and tell the difference between such a hotrock and gold??

Thank you.

I can't vouch for the Gold Bug Pro but hot rocks sound offf witth a bong on the Gold Bug 2 when the coil is pump up and down over them.

Hot rocks if of the same type should give a relative conductivity However size will cause it to vary. (mining areas have multiple types of hot rocks but I have been in sites where all was large magnetite and easy to id but impossible to detect around with any detector I took truck loads of this dirt to the river and sluiced it Did pretty well! ). The other thing with hot rocks is the signal though sounding good wont have as crisp a sound approaching and leaving the hot rock if that makes any sense. Gold will be a nice little zip zip and a tighter signal. Cold rocks will give you a definite Boeing sound and are easy to I.D. Though the Gb and G2 are good at handling mineralization are not as good as that Pi. Where the gbs excel in this situation is small coil less soil volume to look at and extremely tight detection pattern.
Good luck!

The gold bug pro picks up lots of hot rocks.Lots.It was fairly noisy in the areas I detect.In disc mode no problem but then your gonna miss those small nuggets-maybe it sure hits small gold in disc mode even.

In a nutshell, the GB Pro will have positive hot rocks sounding like gold when in all metals mode. If you like, google "Goldbug Pro manual" and read page 29 which is devoted to the hot rocks issue. A key phrase there is "don't dig non-repeatable signals". My feeling is this medium priced detector would be hard-pressed to outperform a much more sophisticated multi-frequency GPX-4500. But if I'm wrong, do let me know!:detecting:

Do a google search for " trinityau posts goldbug pro" and read what he posts about learning the gold bug pro. He posts on the gold detecting forums and he tells you how to read the bars and what numbers to look for. Very knowledgeable man and he shares what he knows.

seb1008... Ray really knows and understands the value of the bargraph readings as the measure the amount of
magnetic susceptibility in the soil. Thus by using the combination of bargraph and phase readings Ray can identify
concentrations and channels of magnetic black sand that can lead to recovering any association of placer gold.

yes parrott, Ray really keeps me inspired. I am heading out to north California and southern Oregon to spend the summer looking for gold. Taking my Gold Bug SE 2.9er with me. From following and saving all of Rays posts I have a lot more confidence in my ability to find something. I have a file folder of all his posts I am taking with me.