Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

GB pro question....

JimGilmore

Ok, I got the gb pro today. Looks to be plenty light even with the 11"DD . Hope to bicycle over to the local park tomorrow for an hour to hunt and try it out. Was suprised to find the head sets that it comes with and the pick.
Though I surely will not take the pick to the park. I only use a 6" probe.
Isn't this a gold machine ?? I have yet to see posts of guys finding nuggets?

I think this machine though does look to work well as a great multi purpose machine. Nuggets and coins....
Light and easy. Now a real question. When hunting in discrimination I do need to gb each time I turn it on correct ?

Yes, You have to GB it each time you turn it on. I also check it every so often when hunting. Remember, it wil not GB in disc mode, only al metal mode.......Mark

GB in ALL Metal Mode, and when you turn it to DISC mode the GB setting will carry over.

You need to ground balance each time the detector is turned on and also listen for (when in discrimination mode) chatter. This is the clue to ground balance again. Also, read the ground balance part of the manual, this little bit of information will help you get the most out of the detector. And yes it is a gold detector. I don't think many people have traveled to the gold fields yet, but I don't know. I do know that when it hit gold you will know it, rings come up real good and small chains will skip across the coil. Good luck in your search tomorrow. :teknetics:#1

So, I'll give you the simplest answer possible and that is this:

The G2, like many other great performing detectors, features an automated Ground Balance that is complimented by manual Ground balance, if you so choose. Due to that design, my personal preference is to adjust the GB each time I start detecting. I also monitor changes in ground make-up and re-balance as needed.

Now, the G2 does have some factory setting to handle the Discriminate mode's operation, and that is fine for some ground. However, it works a bit different from many makes/models I've used because, if the GB setting is reduced a lot from the existing ground mineral make-up, the G2/Gold Bug Pro will 'beep' when you sweep across a rock or intense mineral body made-up of higher mineral ground.

Usually, if you have GB that is too negative in the Disc. mode, you will get a 'beep' when you briskly lift the search coil away from the more mineralized ground or rock. With the G2, if you reduce the GB to a setting much lower than what is necessary to properly GB the unit, then you get a response as you briskly approach the coil with the rock (bad dirt ?).

So, while you need to GB for peak performance in the All Metal mode, and you can get by in most cases in the Discrimination mode w/o GB'ing the unit, The factory setting lets you do this, but you can still impair performance if the GB setting is way off than needed when hunting in the Discriminate mode. I Know because I have shown this before, and just duplicated it to double-check using my 'Homestead Rock' and G2 w/5" coil. The rock, with the 5" DD coil on the G2, balances at '89.1', but I can get a 'beep' or other response from the rock if the GB setting is reduced to somewhere in the 60's or lower.

Usually you won't notice much of any interference, unless there is a pronounced change between the ground mineral make-up and the search coil used, and the GB setting.

Monte