Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

GEORGA RED CLAY a cemical analisis

Gunnar MN

About the visinity of Macon georga a clay called Ocmuglee red clay is found in great profusion hear is its chemical makeup 53.00 silica 21.00% alumina 6.4 iron 1.19% titanium 0.37 % calcium 0.80 magnesium 1.28% potassium 0.35 sodium now wheather this is the clay that is so hard on detecting i dont know it is used for brick making and pottery

Hey Gunnar,
The red clay soil varies from area to area. Some places it has more or less sand mixed in. When I lived in Kennesaw, the red clay was hardpacked and a good pick axe was needed after dry spells,,,,,,,some of the high end detectors wouldn't get any depth at all, my MXT at the time maxed out at 5" for a dime, Garrett Gti1500 barely 4" on a dime. Detectorpro Wader, Tesoro Lobo, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Euro Sabre were not much better.....The only detector I felt had great depth was the Sov. XS, no problem getting a decent signal at 10" on a freshly buried dime. Had a Troy X5 which wasn't any better than the Tejon, sold both wasn't impressed with them. I sold the Sov and should have kept it. The Minelab Musketeer was another detector that punched through really well. Sold it to get the Tejon, mistake that was. Then bought and sold the Troy X5. Finally got the Sov. By the way tried a vintage 1980's Fisher 555DB, it actually worked pretty well in all metal mode but, in TR discrim mode, only 3" on a dime. Vintage Garrett Groundhog ADS and a Dtex SK50 & CK20 didn't fair any better.

When I moved to Dallas, Ga, the soil was sandier . Got much better depth, seems to have less mineralization. with the Sov, mod'd , my second Musketeer and Minelab Sterling were my detectors of choice. Also had better success with my Silver Sabre Umax and mod'd Cibola, still didn't match Minelabs depth!!

From what I understand, the other hottest detectors for Georgia--Nautilus, Fisher Edge, CZ70, Minelab Explorer, Sov.
Gt, some say the Tejon and Troy X5. Keith Southern should give you the low down on detectors, he's had and tested more brands and models than probably anyone in Georgia's soils.

It was real depressing moving to Ga with high metal detectors that handled Northern soils with great depth only to
find out they are trash can material in Ga.

Well, no need to worry about that now, moved to Canada where the soils are really nice. Have to do research again and try relic hunting for War of 1812 relics like I did in the 1980-90's. Lots of great beach water hunting here too. Just waiting for my water scoop to arrive. Hopefully before the snow flies.

See ya at The Minelab Musketeers group site, I have now complied lots of great Musky info.

Yep, the Musketeer is awesome in the clay. One of the deepest detectors I've ever owned. I just couldn't handle the single tone. Same with the Eldorado umax.
My experience with the ID Edge is that it didn't cut my red clay as well. The F70 handles it really good, especially with the 11DD coil, but VDI is unreliable at depth.

w