Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Georgia Gold Rush abandoned mining towns

silvercoinboy

I want to hit some of the abandoned towns around Dahlonega, Georgia. Just one dropped gold coin from the Dahlonega mint, and I could retire! Has anybody hits some of the outlying areas? Miners are a suspicious bunch, and it was very common for them to bury the gold they just dug up after it was refined and minted into coins.

Hi silverboy, is there any open land around Dahlonega that can be detected on or do you know people there? I live in KY. and would love to go down and gold prospect there.

Not sure, but you can always ask for permission

Thanks for the reply, i would hate to drive all the way down there and not be able to find a place. if you go hope you good luck, let me know how you do. dean

There are a few "tourist" mines open in the Dahlonega area but not sure about the rest of them. Used to prowl around a few of them went I went to North Georgia College back in the '50's. Only 700 students then. Comparatively, it's much bigger now. Has a University status now. Met a moonshiner in one of them. We made a promise to him not to tell anyone. He was "tottin" the biggest revolver I had ever seen. I kept my promise. Sure hope the others did. He looked like someone out of "Deliverance".

I want to hit some of the abandoned towns around Dahlonega, Georgia. Just one dropped gold coin from the Dahlonega mint, and I could retire! Has anybody hits some of the outlying areas? Miners are a suspicious bunch, and it was very common for them to bury the gold they just dug up after it was refined and minted into coins.
Hunted that area with metal detector back in the early 80's. Now it is pretty much all private properties and hard to get permission to hunt, but probably not impossible if you try hard enough.