Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Getting a WOT & having it hardwired to an Excal 1000

erikk

I have a Excal 1000 and I would like to purchase a new WOT coil from a dealer and one that can either do or have the coil hardwired to the Excal by someone that knows what they are doing and will warranty their work. In other words I want it to work and not LEAK

Erikk, BEST OF LUCK on that mission!! I called around a couple of months ago, after MINELAB made ANOTHER POOR DECISION, without regard to their Excal Customer Base!! On their New
CRAPPY POLICY of No Longer hardwiring any aftermarket coils or headphones on customers EXCAL'S!! At that time, Mr. Bill advised me that he would pick up the ball (On HARDWIRING
DETECTORPRO Headphones ONLY on MINELAB EXCAL'S!! You would have to check with him to see if he is STILL PERFORMING THAT SERVICE, if you wanted that done!! BEST OF
LUCK, and Advise Us if you find someone that is WARRANTYING COIL INSTALLATION!! HH, Les Robinson

You can do it yourself and it will turn out just marvelous. I did the Excalibur Gray Ghost headphone swap and it worked better than I ever would have thought.

I know how to do the coil swap and will hard wire a different coil to the Excalibur soon. It looks to be just a little more involved than the headphone swap but not a big deal.

Use plenty of plumbers grease and make sure the O rings are in straight and you should not have any leaks or problems.

There are plenty of postings on how to do it on this site and other places on the internet. Do it. You will have a sense of accomplishment and knowing it was done right.

I've done a search and haven't been able to find anything on installing GG headphones or another coil. I may try this myself if I could find specific instructions on how to do it.
If anyone has a link to How to do it,Please post

Do a search for my name and you will see that I posted instructions on how to wire up for Gray Ghosts. I have not done the coil so I cannot help you on that. There are other postings on this site that can help you with rewiring for a new coil.

Do not do the cut the wire and use waterproof wire connector routine. It will leak and cause you problems especially in salt water. A direct wire to the board is the way to go and it needs to be done correctly or you will have problems with leakage.

Well I did the search and didn't find the instructions but doesn't matter anyway. I can do many things but messing with soldering and boards is not one of them especially with less than perfect eye sight. I just can't believe that there isn't anyone out there that can do repairs/mods on an Excal since Minelab stopped doing them.

Erikk, is your detector out of warranty?

I replaced the coil on two of the Excalibur's I had in the past.
installed a waterproof connector on another one for a friend.
It is not hard to do if you are handy doing things like that.
Using a lathe to cut another grove for a second "O" ring would give extra leak protection.

Waterproof connectors will work If you do not change the coil often.
Pack them with with silicone grease to help keep the water from getting in them.
I am surprised some enterprising person has not come up with a small plastic tube that would seal the waterproof connector as extra insurance.

Willee said:
Erikk, is your detector out of warranty?

I replaced the coil on two of the Excalibur's I had in the past.
installed a waterproof connector on another one for a friend.
It is not hard to do if you are handy doing things like that.
Using a lathe to cut another grove for a second "O" ring would give extra leak protection.

Waterproof connectors will work If you do not change the coil often.
Pack them with with silicone grease to help keep the water from getting in them.
I am surprised some enterprising person has not come up with a small plastic tube that would seal the waterproof connector as extra insurance.[/quot

Yep, it is the Blue ear cup one , a 1000. Problem is that I am not handy with that type of thing & eyesight is not great I'm 69
Want a job?