Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Getting along with the Racer 2

Scottowl

I have been using the Racer 2 long enough to burn a few sets of batteries, and I must say it has been positive. I cut my teeth on a Whites MXT for about 10 years. I am not missing it near as much as I thought I would be.

For me, the Makro takes the place of 2 of the machines I had, just by changing modes.

In 3 tone I get the coverage in trash that I got with my Classic IDX, fitted with the Snooper (4"?) coil. Two tone behaves like the MXT with the gain cranked all the way up, except the R2 is more stable. I was able to find some tiny bits of metal using the MXT, but the R2 can beat it, for good or bad! Deep mode on the R2 even reminds me of coin and jewelry mode on the MXT.

About the only drawback to the R2 is the good tone and VDI on deep iron, such as nuts and bolts, pipe fittings and framing nails. It likes bottle caps, but they are easy to reject by lifting the coil up a few inches. The only thing worrying me is possible good targets missed due to masking.

The MXT and R2 perform very similar on shallow clad targets that we deal with in the park and ball field settings. The R2 beats the MXT in target separation. For example, I was running it in 2 tone, gain up to 85 or more, and detecting in some extreme trash. It would separate coins from aluminum garbage without 'averaging' more than one target. This thing can separate targets less than 1" apart. I have used the small round coil exclusively in my R2 experience.

I have also noticed the deeper the target, the wider the pin point area. Also, small bits of foil and aluminum that ring up high on the VDI can be discarded by the audio. It is possible to estimate the shape of objects by it's audio response, which is something I had trouble with on the MXT.

No gold jewelry yet for me on the R2, but I do have several silver items. I found a large silver chain, and the R2 made it sound as if there were several dimes in the area. I guess it was reporting each link of the chain, and not a loud overload signal like the MXT would have.

My favorite find with it is a 1900 Barber dime, found in some brush near a school built in the 1980's. The dime is well circulated, and could have been lost in the 1940's, when there was a building boom going on around this little burg. I would imagine that coin would be in circulation at that time. I do know I was shocked to see it get uncovered!

When I got the Makro, I was skeptical, and a little disheartened that I parted with an old friend for it. After trying it out I let it sit for 2-3 weeks, and I think that little break helped me begin to get the hang of it. Now, I seldom turn it down to 3 tone and get the gain up to 50 or better when I do. I don't see where I gain anything in Deep mode, and I keep promising myself I will begin using all metal mode.

I think my next move will be to get the concentric coil, and see how that works out.

Please explain; "small bits of foil and aluminum that ring up high on the VDI can be discarded by the audio" and "it is possible to estimate the shape of objects by it's audio response". New at this and all I hear is one of two or three tones. I have found a gold ring and some silver jewelry because I dig nearly any solid signal.

What I was trying to say is, at high gain, a piece of foil or aluminum can may report a VDI of 70, but have a ratty sound. It would not be a good target to me.

As far as shaping a target, I meant to say that a coin or ring has a nice tone in a small pattern, whereas an odd shaped bit of metal seems to me to have a wider area of detection.

If you have a gold ring, you are ahead of me. There is a lot to be said for digging everything, which I do in sports fields. Picnic areas are a different story for me. I imagine I have walked over gold rings, and some of my best all time finds have been iffy signals.

Do you remember the particulars of the ring, such as signal sound or VDI?

The gold ring VDI was in the mid to high 20's I don't remember exactly, but the numbers varied slightly. Many pull tabs fall in the mid 30's to mid to high 50's and sound like a good target. The VDI numbers are steady, so I dig them. Most of the silver falls in the mid to high 80's, the 90's VDI numbers are always can slaw or flat metal, such as aluminum flashing trim from construction activities.

I came from an MXT also. I agree about the Racer being more versatile. One thing I liked about the MXT was the ability to cover large areas quickly in short hunts, but it was real tough in trashy areas. The Racer has a lot of settings so One can chose one for the conditions they are in. I've only had mine for a bout a month so I'm still in the learning mode. this is what it netted me last night at a homestead

[attachment 350356 zane2.jpg]

Each user has different experiences, but I found the Deep Mode to be VERY helpful on faint signals. I think it's best use would be in "clean" fields for relic hunting. I intend to find out next month. :clapping:

semtav said:
I came from an MXT also.
For decades I have maintained a working arsenal of several detectors, often comprised of 2 to more brands in order to gain the advantages I might want and need for differing sites. In late 2014, and since the introduction of the original MXT at the turn of this century, I had maintained a White's MXT or MXT Pro [size=small](or MXT All Pro which is the same, unchanged model)[/size] as one of the primary working models I kept on-hand. Actually, the newer MX5 had nudged my MXT Pro as a more friendly and functional model, and they were complemented by a Teknetics T2 w/small 5" DD coil for handling the nastier iron plagued Relic Hunting sites I most often hunt. For Coin & Jewelry Hunting the MX5 and MXT Pro were used the most.

So after a dozen years of loyalty to the MXT and MXT 'platform' and knowing it well, I was 'introduced' to the Nokta FORS CoRe on January 8th of 2015 and that changed everything in my primary-use detector package, and very soon the original Makro Racer joined the CoRe to help eliminate everything else I owned and used with the exception of my preferred Tesoro models. Now, 3 Years & 9 Months later, I have progressed through the Makro and Nokta detectors and personally favor the Racer 2 to the original Racer.

Even after working with the Racer 2 for several month last year I wondered if I was missing something in the way of figuring out settings and performance so I acquired another as-new MXT All-Pro and the coils I prefer for it just to do some more side-by-side, in-the-field comparisons. Well, I should have known better, but after so many years with the MXT series I was wondering if I had made a judgment error. I was very soon assured I had been correct all along and quickly parted with the MXT. The Racer 2 had the very solid performance I wanted and preferred for more of my Coin Hunting needs and it became a member of my Specialty-Use Detectors. It would travel with me all the time except it was bumped from my Regular-Use Detector Team by the Nokta Impact which fits me better for several reasons, plus it provides the in-your-face display like the Racer series.

semtav said:
I agree about the Racer being more versatile.
Yes, I agree, especially the Racer 2 which bumped the original Racer thanks to the Tone Break and Iron Audio Volume control.

semtav said:
One thing I liked about the MXT was the ability to cover large areas quickly in short hunts, but it was real tough in trashy areas.
I found the MXT Pro w/6" Concentric coil to handle many trashier sites OK. I liked White's MX5 even better with the same 6" coil as it was better balanced, simpler, and performed as well or better. The 3-filter type circuitry design does allow a bit faster sweep speed than many competitive slow-motion designs, but in really bad mineralization or in dense trash it does work better with a slower to much-slower sweep speed.

Honestly, the same is true of the Nokta FORS series and Impact as well as the Racer series models where a slower methodical sweep can bring the best results overall. I still run mine slow-and-methodical most of the time because I generally am hunting iron plagued older sites, but in the more open areas where targets are spaced farther apart [size=small](including unwanted trash targets)[/size] I will use a moderate to faster sweep speed at times.

semtav said:
The Racer has a lot of settings so One can chose one for the conditions they are in. I've only had mine for a bout a month so I'm still in the learning mode. this is what it netted me last night at a homestead.
The more time you put in with a Racer/Racer 2 the better you'll understand and appreciate it as a very universal-use detector.

Congrats on the results at the homestead site you hunted. Would you mind sharing the search coil you used as well as the settings? I know I like to read about settings others use afield, and I am not alone.

Thanks, and best of success on your next foray afield.

Monte

All of the Nokta & Makro products have really impressed me, and many Avid Detectorists I know have swung over to using their detectors ... and for very good reasons. They are Simple, Functional, and really Perform quite well.

Scottowl said:
When I got the Makro, I was skeptical, and a little disheartened that I parted with an old friend for it. After trying it out I let it sit for 2-3 weeks, and I think that little break helped me begin to get the hang of it. Now, I seldom turn it down to 3 tone and get the gain up to 50 or better when I do. I don't see where I gain anything in Deep mode, and I keep promising myself I will begin using all metal mode.
I had "an old friend" as well, to describe the MXT All-Pro that was a main unit in my detector group, and wasn't skeptical, just inquisitive about the then new on the market Nokta FORS CoRe.

After I was contacted by Dilek and was pleased to get a CoRe package for evaluation in early January of '14, I set out to do some comparisons between the new CoRe and my set of models, and that included an MXT All-Pro, MX5, Tek. T2 Classic and Omega 8000 V4. G2 and a couple of others. Within just a few days almost all my detectors had been traded off or sold simply due to the excellent balance, features and performance of the CoRe. The MXT All-Pro was relegated to a 2nd or 'back-up' status, and that only lasted a very short while. I then got a Makro Racer in my hands and the MXT was on the way out.

As I stated in an earlier post, I wondered if I really missed the MXT All-Pro or not and acquired an as-new model ... and that was also quickly parted with because the Nokta CoRe and Relic and Makro Racer 2 were the better featured and better performing detectors. And that was before the 7" Concentric coil was introduced for the Impact and Racer 2 models which really outclasses the MXT series with a closely-sized 6" Concentric coil.

I only reduce my Gain on any Nokta or Makro model when I feel there is a need or benefit for my type of hunting and site choices, and since I hunt in dense trash most of the time, the Di3 three-tone mode is my preference since I will also be using one of the smaller-size search coils. As for the DEEP mode, I can assure you that it can provide an edge in performance when searching very open areas where there is limited shallow masking problems, and when anticipated targets are maybe a bit deeper than normal for the area. I use DEEP mode when searching older parks and similar grassy locations, or even on old-use dirt sites. As usual my gain is set pretty high, and the DEEP mode is at-its-best when you use a slower sweep and often a little longer side-to-side sweep to allow it to better process the ground mineralization and report a deeper object.

Scottowl said:
I think my next move will be to get the concentric coil, and see how that works out.
Well, once you get the new 7" Concentric coil for your Racer 2 you will likely:

Use the Concentric coil most of the time, especially for Coin & Jewelry Hunting

Want to get out hunting more often because the Concentric provides improved audio and visual target information/accuracy and is very stable.

Thin down your current detector group so as to own only the Racer 2 ... or any other Makro or Nokta device that fits your needs and wants.

I am sure you will end up with the 7" Concentric and can't wait to read your reports of success once you put it to work afield!

Monte said:
Congrats on the results at the homestead site you hunted. Would you mind sharing the search coil you used as well as the settings? I know I like to read about settings others use afield, and I am not alone.

Thanks, and best of success on your next foray afield.

I've gone back to the RC29. I have been using the two tone mode, filter ID at 20 and Gain at 90. I did switch the tone break and audio tones a bit to suit me but don't have the detector with me to see what it was set at. (50 and 20/60 I think) Only other thing I might try is notching out 96 and above.

Found a rosie and wheat last night at a much trashier homestead. So nice not to have the screaming rusty tin in my ear the whole hunt !!!

Scottowl said:
I don't see where I gain anything in Deep mode, and I keep promising myself I will begin using all metal mode..

I can definitely tell the deep mode is much deeper than two tone. Probably why I went back to 2 tone. The deep mode just picks up too much stuff in most places to make the hunt fun. It has its place, just not everywhere.

My Racer2 has paid for itself more than any other machine I've ever owned by many, many times over. Last year I was lucky enough to have an opportunity to dig a park demo that lasted several months at one of the oldest parks in the area. Dug dozens and dozens of silver coins, a Victorian gold ring with a diamond, and the key date 1916D mercury dime. Couple of months ago nabbed a Morgan silver dollar, and last weekend, one of the best coins I've ever dug, a rare key date 1860S Seated Liberty quarter. The Racers were a game changer for me and the places I detect.

I found that the Deep mode works well for certain types of detecting. I found it very useful while detecting dirt piles, and also to double check signals. What I haven't found it particularly good for is a main detecting mode, it seems to false on iron too much (IMHO). Di3, works awesome in iron, slap on the OOR or NEL Snake/CORS Shrew coil and you'll kill it in iron. Beach detecting, no problem. It's a great all around detector, superb at old home sites, ghost towns, and like iron infested sites, tons of great coil options, light weight, the best wireless headphones I've used, long battery life, it's just a fun to use, highly effective detector.