Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Getting back into detecting - which machine?

LeslieTx

I metal detected in the 1990s and early 2000s. I had several detectors, my favorites were Fisher CZ6a and a Minelab Excalibur. I'm looking for a best all around detector, relic, beach, park, etc. Right now I'm leaning toward the Minelab Equinox 800. I would appreciate getting advice from those using the newer machines.

For relics, parks and fresh water beaches for coins and jewelry with some submerged fresh water thrown in, you have several choices in VLFs. Nokta Makro Anfibio, Nokta Makro Multi Kruzer, Nokta Makro Simplex, Garrett AT Pro or Max, Whites MX Sport and the Equinox 600 and 800. All of these are proven performers and are advertised to be fully waterproof and submergible, and they have notching patterns or user friendly notching abilities that can make coin and jewelry hunting easier sometimes. If you are wanting to detect in wet salt sand or shallow salt water the Anfibio, Kruzer, Simplex, MX Sport and Equinox would be fine. If you aren't planning to submerge your detector you can add the XP Deus, Whites MX7, Garrett Ace Apex and the Minelab Vanquish which will do well on salt water wet sand and all of your other scenarios. If you don't need notching you can add the Garrett AT Gold and the XP ORX. If you plan to hunt a lot in really mineralized dirt or difficult dirt with lots of fertilizer, manure or salt seep, the Vanquish and Equinox for sure can handle just about any really bad soil conditions. The Simplex, Vanquish and Garrett Apex are high end entry level detectors that offer incredible value for their detecting ability. The rest of the ones mentioned are mid level/intermediate detectors that are great. For the best all around detector that can do everything (not the best) but really well, the Equinox is hard to beat. For the fastest in iron trash/relic hunting and the most ergonomic, (and the coolest in my opinion) the Deus is definitely top of the hill. Lots of really avid hunters have an Equinox and Deus or a similar combination. Some people that are not quite as rabid about detecting have the Simplex and Vanquish 540 which cover everything except gold prospecting. The Equinox and Vanquish use the latest version of simultaneous multi frequency operation from Minelab which has much faster recovery speed and better target separation than earlier BBS and FBS multi frequency.

Others will have different thoughts for sure. There is some older tech that still works great. Personally, I like displays, tone options, waterproof and wireless audio if possible and I need salt water and high mineralization capabilities, so my list is skewed in that direction.

I am giving my opinions here, but I am also lucky enough to have used each of these detectors in the past 5 years so I am not just blowing smoke from reading specs or blogs.

Last edited:
Hi bud
Check out the nokta macro simplex as well as the equinox.It is half the price of the equinox but certainly not half the performance.It's also waterproof down to 10 feet with great wet sand performance.A friend of mine bought one and it is all he will use now it's that good.
It's a fantastic low priced genuine all round detector that will compete with top machines easily.There are plenty of videos out there to give an idea of how it performs.....it's even great in heavy iron.

I metal detected in the 1990s and early 2000s. I had several detectors, my favorites were Fisher CZ6a and a Minelab Excalibur. I'm looking for a best all around detector, relic, beach, park, etc. Right now I'm leaning toward the Minelab Equinox 800. I would appreciate getting advice from those using the newer machines.
Hi LeslieTX,
I totally forgot to say welcome to this forum and keep asking questions. Do you still have your Excal?

If you think about getting a Simplex, Nel Coils is just about to release a full line of aftermarket coils for the Simplex. In my opinion, the stock coils and the stock lower rod (way too flexible) are the big weak point on the Simplex. Nokta Makro just released a carbon fiber lower rod upgrade also. If you plan to do any submerged detecting or just want better coils and a lower rod with little to no flex, these new products should really help. Otherwise, like Nauti said, the Simplex is a really good detector and it has the nicest wireless headphones too.........get with it Minelab!

Last edited:
Hi LeslieTX,
I totally forgot to say welcome to this forum and keep asking questions. Do you still have your Excal?

If you think about getting a Simplex, Nel Coils is just about to release a full line of aftermarket coils for the Simplex. In my opinion, the stock coils and the stock lower rod (way too flexible) are the big weak point on the Simplex. Nokta Makro just released a carbon fiber lower rod upgrade also. If you plan to do any submerged detecting or just want better coils and a lower rod with little to no flex, these new products should really help. Otherwise, like Nauti said, the Simplex is a really good detector and it has the nicest wireless headphones too.........get with it Minelab!
No I sold it. Thanks for your input.

There is a bunch of good detectors available today. I had 3 different cz's before I settled in with Fishers F 75's and have been and still am, very pleased with them.In fact, on their web page they have some great prices on some models. If I didn't own a stable of detectors and was just getting back into the hobby, I would have to consider quite hard the Equinox 600 or 800, for a good all around detector. Welcome back and good luck. HH jim tn

Whites m6 (mxt stuck in c/j mode) is a good unit. I have a ctx and an equinox 800. I alternate between the two units when I go out. I’ve had a multi kruzer which is also a good machine

Hey Leslie,

By chance is Martin your dad?

LeslieTX, Welcome back to our elite club, Hoooo Raaaah! If you been keeping up with metal detecting technology, (I think you have) there have been vast improved detector designs. Good Luck in your decision and your purchase.

TC-NM

Check out the Minelab Vanquish 540 pro pack, it's a multi-frequeintcy detector that also performs great on the beach. Great detector for the money

Best all-around detector? Short answer: equinox 800. Extremely versatile / adjustable and covers a multitude of different hunting situations.

I have the Equinox 800 and to me it is the most versatile detector I have ever used.
Easy to learn, seems to work well in various soil conditions including red clay where I live too.
Lots of other fine machines out there now, but the Equinox fits all my needs.