Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Getting closer!!

My buddy and I have been doing quite a bit of research on a possible site that once had an old trading post and/or store, along with a handful of houses & farm that were there from the early 1800s, to the late 1800s. After obtaining permission from the farmer, off we went. The problem is that this farm is huge, roughly a half mile wide, by a half mile deep. Tom started on one side, and I started on the other. The first day, after a good 4 hours of hunting, we came up empty handed. Aside, from a few dozen nails, iron, and several shotgun shells. We hit it again last night for a couple of hours. Tom was able to find a couple of round musket balls, and one wheatie -1950s (probably from the current owner) I hit one stretch of land where I pulled two buttons, one 1887 Indian, and one large cent that has been cut in half. This is the second large cent that I have found in the past 20 years, that was cut in half. Love finding them, but I'd much rather find a the uncut version. If anyone knows why these large cents were cut in half back in the day, please let me know. Anyway, we're headed back to the farm this weekend, even though the temps will be hovering around 40 degrees.

That's funny about the large cent because about a year ago I found one cut in half and of course it's the half without the date and it had pretty good detail to ..
I don't have a clue as to why it's cut perfectly in half and just like you I was baffled..
Sounds like you guys have found a spot to work over for a while and I hope it pays off for y'all..

Perhaps the large cent half is the other half of the one you found years ago lol... if you can find there source of water such as a well or spring I would start hunting in that area as it would an area of activity and clothes washing etc...

I hunted hard for the other half just like anybody would and now you have me wanting to go back to hunt it again.. lol
That is a good idea for them to check around any water source..

Also, look for a place they may have hung clothes, that could be a good spot. Sometimes talking to the current owner can shed some light on past activities and help find some hot spots.
No matter what happens, this kind of place is always exciting and should be a lot of fun.

A cut in half large cent = two 1/2 cent coins. I’ve seen 2 1/2 cent tokens, so 1/2 cents must have been common back then.

During the early history of this country any coin was good since we did not have a mint. Cutting coins was relatively common. It continued even after the US started minting its own coins. Your cut large cent is an good example of coin cutting.