Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Getting Concerned

Howdy ya'll, first post for me, anyway, I've been reading all of the post, am thinking about purchasing a Quattro, I'm currently useing a old CZ6 got it when they very first came out. Needless to say its a tried and true unit. With what I've read about the Quattro, and also went to the local dealer so I could have one in my hands, and talk a little about it. And bring up many of the problems that I have read about on this site, that other people seem to have. The new technology is what I

hands-on. Slow and easy, dig everything. It takes time for the Quattro to recover.

Started out with Radio Shack, then to White's XLT and now the Quattro. I am happy with it. I wanted an upgrade and I think I made a wise choice.

Happy hunting and good luck.

Paul, I can understand you being concerned about the Quatro considering all the different posts there are on it. I know there's everything from "boy this is great" to "gee, I wonder if it's OK", but as far as I'm concerned, and I own one, it's by far the best detectro I've ever owned and I've had a few other ones. I used to have a Garrett Master Hunter 7 and an old bounty hunter plus, before I traded it in on the Quatro, I bought a Minelab Muskateer. I liked the Musketeer for the price but seemed to have trouble with it near the salt water and black sand. I never could get it to keep from falsing, and the only "guess" on that one is it only has one frequency. I don't think you can lose with multiple frequencies, especially with Minelab. I very seldom have any problems with it at the beach or anywhere else except possibley near huge power lines, but I used the ground cancel and it helped a lot. Very few problems with those things and I can tell you, you don't want that problem. It can ruin a good time if you have to constantly deal with false signals at the beach or anywhere else. When I first got the Quatro, I had some problems trying to sort out all the different tones and chirps and stuff. For a bout a week, I had trouble telling what's what, but it ended up just being the learning curve for me and after about 2 weeks, I felt comfortable with it and it all seems to make sense now. Sure, now and then your gonna have a weird signal or something, but it seems to give very good and accurate information for me and I consider myself pretty critical in that area. I know it's not a perfect world yet, and if you don't believe me just ask Mike from Virginia beach how many differnt numbers gold can come up with, but for the most part, it nails down most of the coins and gives you great depth and good information with almost zilch on the mineralization problems. I'd say 99% of the time I can hunt at the beach in 4" deep salt water with black sand and there's no problem. I guarantee you I havn't had much nulling except when it's set to discriminate a particular metal, which is what it's supposed to do. The only guys I'm hearin crying the blues on that stuff is in Extremely bad ground with tons of iron. I've doug pennys at 1 foot deep, and if that ain't deep, I'd like to see what is. Let us know how it works out for you either way. I, for one, am always interested in what other guys are feeling about a particular unit, especially the Quatro. Remember too that it has notichable discrimintation you can set any way you want. You can also set the audio to ferrous or conductive through cross saving.

Paul,

I have had my Quattro for about three weeks now and wanted to say that beachguy has pretty much hit the nail on the head. The Quattro is a great detector. To all intents and purposes it is an Explorer II with a different software interface. The Quattro is a deep and sensitive machine and I think that catches many people by surprise; the target density jumps significantly when using this machine which is great but also a source of frustration the first few times out. Just like the Explorer, learning how to use both the digital and audio discrimination is essential. In particular, the audio contains a great deal of information but this requires time spent in the field. The nulling is a fact of life with any form of notch discrimination so I will not complain about that. The sweep speed is slower than I am used to... It's fine, I just needed to slow down and let the ID do its work. Another problem people have is with the DD coil. Pinpointing requires a different approach but it works very well once you get the hang of it.

A lot of people say that the Quattro is a stripped down version of the Explorer II. It is true that the Quattro gives the user somewhat less information about the target since the ferrous and conductivity are rolled into a linear numbering scheme. However, the Quattro ID seems very accurate so my impression is that the Minelab team did quite a sophisticated job in mapping the 2D explorer functions onto the 1D Quattro indicator. The Explorer all gives more options for tweaking; but I am not sure this translates to better performance, except in the hands of an expert.

There are some other nice things about the Quattro that are shared by the Exp II. The unit is very well built and designed. It's a pleasure to hold and use and obviously a lot of thought went into the design. The Quattro will use any coil made for the Explorer. Also the X-1 pinpointer is available for both machines which is a big plus imho. Overall, I have been very happy with mine and have no desire for another detector (except perhaps an Explorer once I have mastered the Quattro).

God I love that review philiprst. I don't know where you came from, but I couldn't agree more at least from my end of things. I havn't used the Explorer II yet, and just like you I'd love to have one some day, but I think you said it very, very well. They must have rolled those ferrous and conductive numbers into one readout, at least it sure seems that way, so it doesn't seem like your losing a tremendouse ammount of info by not having two readouts, but at any rate, I agree whole heartedly with you. Good review, and hope to hear more from you in the future. I think it's well worth the price, even when you compare it with the Explorer.:)

I have had two Explorer II's and two Quattro's. Sold Explores and now using a Quattro. I find it easier to use and it does go deep. I have four coils for it 5",8'',10.5"and 12.5 S-12 and they cover every hunting style i want to do. Seem to learn something new about it every time i hunt.

Thanks so much beachguy :)

I am having a lot of fun with my Quattro. Reading the "Mastering the Quattro" book really helped, although I still think it would be nice to have more online resources for those of us that chose the Quattro. This forum is a good start but gets nowhere near the traffic of the explorer forum.... Maybe we can change that....

I just ordered an X1 pinpointer from Ralph and Sun Ray and I am hoping it gets here before I head to the beach next week. I'll report on how it works out if it arrives in time and that will be my first opportunity to give the Quattro a really good workout.

Even after only three weeks, I have made some nice finds with the Quattro mostly in hunted out places that are close by. It amazes me with the ability to pick up a penny at 8" just like it was on the surface. I hunted a school yard last weekend and was finding deep 40 year old coins that dated back to a year or so after the school was founded. I can't help thinking that those coins had been buried, undiscovered, for all that time.

I still do find the machine somewhat frustrating at times. I need to work on my audio targetting abilities and that will just take more experience in the field. I am also not used to digging such deep targets and it's always annoying to find trash after that amount of work. That's really my problem, not the Quattro's though....

Right on Paul, I'll be curious to know how the two compare with each other. I've never used a CZ6 so it'll all be new to me. Hope you enjoy the Quatro, I don't think you'll be sorry, but do yourself a favor and get Andy Sabisch's book Mastering the Qutarto. You won't regret it. There's some information in there that isn't even in the owners manual about cross saving the audio.

Paul,

As beachguy said, please get a copy of Andy's book. There is loads of good stuff in there that's not in the manual.

The Quattro & Explorer II are the just about unbeatable for Silver Coinage and their ability to ID on a Visual and Audio basis. Other Target ID detectors fall short on Visual Target ID accuracy.

Just a quick note to say that I received my X-1 pinpointer in the mail today. I hope to put it through its paces tomorrow. The whole unit is very nicely put together and Ralph at Sun Ray did a great job at mounting the X-1 on an extra quattro shaft.