Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Getting Frustrated with Quattro

You can't appreciate that kind of ground until you've hunted in it. If I lived there, I would MOVE. :shrug:

You think I'm KIDDING? :nono:

Hi Daniel,
Your startup procedure seems to be correct, may I suggest that you hunt in ferrous mode, lower sensitivity and slow down coil sweep speed.

Ferrous mode is ideal since there seems to be lots of iron at your site. Mike is right that you can be selective and dig up only the numbers you want. Where I hunt, I have found that sens of 12-15 is even better than auto sens. Do experiment on this. Coil sweep speed need to be VERY SLOW on the Quattro...if you are familiar with the Sov...the Quattro needs to be swept much slower since it IDs in all metal mode. It is a sensitive detector that sees a lot more than my Tesoros. It is also deeper.

Having said all that...no two hunting sites are ever the same :) That is why what works for me may not work as well for you.

It seems there is one other factor at play here and it is your heavily mineralized ground. The best advise I got from an Explorer user in understanding a new site (or using a new detector at an old site) is to bring some desired targets and bury them in the ground then tweak all the detector adjustments to find out which settings would best fit your site. Listen to the sounds that the good targets make. Listen to what it sounds like at various depths as well and go dig up similar sounds for the next 100 hours. This will familiarize you with the Quattro as it is quite different from Tesoros.

I love my Tesoros but the Quattro with X5 coil and TID in ferrous mode allowed me to dig up only the good targets in proximity to heavy trash. I can't say I can do the same with my Tesoro as you will need to dig all other trash as well in minimum disc. Of course, in days that my patience runs thin...I just have to reach for my Vaquero :) but that is just me. Detectors are all different and they all have their uses. Whenever I hit a new site, the Tesoro is the first one I use as I can cover an area pretty fast and get to know where the best areas are and where the trashiest areas are. When the easy pickings are gone, the Quattro is a good "cleaning up the site" detector. This is my first all metal mode TID and it plays that role pretty well.

I'm amazed that you can set the sens on manual and do better than the auto because I would think that the auto mode would find the best setting for that type of soil, but I guess not acording to what your saying. I guess I'll have to try it. Set the sens pretty low if it's really tough ground. Thanks for the tip.

No, I don't think your kidding. I'd probably move too. Hey, if you can't detect, might as well hang it up and take up golf or something. After all, what's my level of priority? Job, the dog, detecting and then the wife.?:lol: Just kidding, I don't even have a wife, yet, hope I can get one before it's over, but then the priority level's probably gonna change a bit. Then it would be: Job, the dog, wife, detecting. :D (That's probably why I don't have a wife yet, ya recon???:):b:)

That auto is better than manual, but actually in manual you have control of the sensitivity and can find what works better for you. If it is real trashy the sensitivity will be runing close to nothing as we have seen with the Explorers and the Quattros. I find if it is not real trashy auto works OK as it is trying to keep a steady or close to steady threshold.
I have seen auto in trashy area have a hard time picking up a dime on top of the ground unless you touch it, in manual it is not as stable,but get greater depth.

Rick

Hi Beachguy,

I have a Sov and can set the sens to 10 o'clock and that high a sens seems to work fine and I have found a lot of silver with it. But with the Quattro, a sens of 17-18 seems too high that I get falsing sometimes on every sweep. Iron nails sound so good at these higher settings too. I can't explain why the auto sens want to set the Quattro that high in my ground...maybe RickND can answer that one :)

The detectors are different too and I also use them differently. With the Quattro, I usually hunt in ferrous all metal mode which has the iron mask open wide. The Quattro is better in trash.

Doug

Hi Rick,

My first hunt with the Quattro was at the Golden Gate Park. Didn't know how to fiddle with the unit back then... when I was in manual, I had the sens at 17-18 and also tried auto sens too...falsing all over...

This part of the park was littered with trash and had numerous pennies right on the surface...was really surprised that the Quattro wouldn't even hit on those pennies until I raised the coil off the ground. That day, I found more eyeballing the coins than with my detector! Thought the Q was broken! Now I know better but am thousands of miles away :-(

Heh...my wife likes diamonds. So when I tell her I'm going detecting for HER...to get her some diamonds...that means she's my top priority, right? See how that works? :D

Your a smart man Mike. Like the man says, if mama ain't happy, no body's happy, even the dog, so it's probably better to put mamma first, just like your doing. Keep up the good work, and I'll bet you get a lot less flack about going detecting when you bring home the bacon in the form of a diamond or two.:) Maybe if I ever find any diamonds I could have them put in a studded dog collar for my pooch. At this point in my life, she's "all I got". I do love her very much, but I sure would like to get ahold of one of those "wife things"some day. I just had a girl from China call me on Skype, an internet program where you can talk all over the world on the computer, and I told her how old I was, (56) and at first she said, "Gee, I like older mature men like that". Boy did that make me feel great for about 5 minutes, even though I thought she was probably pullin my leg. Any way, she finally said, by by, so I'm training the dog to help me dig holes at the beach. I'm jivin ya, but honestly she does try and get in on the hole digging deal sometimes when I'm digging for a target. It's pretty cute.

That's a very important point you brought up about: if you're nulling on discriminated items you wouldn't hear the good ones. Wow, I never really quite thought of it that way, because I always thought you'd hear the good ones that weren't disked out, but maybe not necessarily so, I take it, if the good target is close enough to the bad one. Is that what they call masking? Boy, I'm gettin kind of dumb here, I remember reading it in Andy's book, but that could be pretty important, that if you run in all metal, you get that much more information and comparison tones and target id's. Very interesting and I think I need to work on that more. Gee, Mike, maybe that's why I don't have any gold rings yet. I admit, I'm still running low disc even at the beach, probably disking out all the iron up to 0 then running 1 to 40 in the possitive at the beach.

Yards are full of iron and will give you fits.When you reject the iron,you're machine will null.Also what happens when you reject iron is that a lot of times you will also reject good targets lying near,above or below iron.I don't know how your quattro works,but what I do with the DFX is aceppt most iron.From 0 down to -70.This will still allow me to reject small rusted iron and nails.What this also does is a)give me more depth and b)which is even more important,allows the machine to hear the GOOD targets mixed in with the iron.A lot of times it will average the target down on the vdi's but will still retain the good targets tone followed by the iron's tone.For the area's you described hunting,I would turn your sensitivity down(because you're not going to get anything deep in area's that are that trashed anyway),use a small coil,acceppt iron,work slow and dig any positive signals.I found a 1923 merc Sunday in a heavily hunted schoolyard.The coin was lying right next to a nail.The vdis were bouncy,but the high tone was mixed in with the nails iron tone.It was a definate silver tone and was most likely passed over hundreds of times.Dave

Doug, that was an exceptional post you just did there. I think you hit on some pretty important things, and that is, no two detectors are alike and the idea of burrying some stuff in the tuff ground so you KNOW what's up, at least with the burried stuff. Good idea for any ground, especiall "tough, ironized" ground. You know, I hate to admit it, because I always want to think I'm open minded, but I have to admit, I've been pretty narrow minded when it comes to detectors. I'm so sold on Minelab, I've pretty much been blowing any other brands off (in my mind's eye) as far as a possible 2nd or 2rd detector. I think I need to change that attitude, because, even though I love my Quatro and would like an Excallibur for a water machine, I was looking at Teseoros and some other brands before I got the Quatro. I like your idea of being able to move fast and fairly easy with the Tesoro in order to find stuff then using the Quatro to kind of zoom in on it, especially when the Quatro has a slower recovery rate. I'v heard a number of fellas say that different detectors may work better on different grounds. Interesting thought and I'd like to pursue it when I get soome more bucks. I'm also very interested in different size coils. I have the 5" for the Quatro and it seems to work "great" for trashy areas and seems to get reasonable depth. I should do a depth test, though, just to see, in order to make a more informed decision on which coil to use at which site. Anyway, nice post you did there.

Yea Doug, I'm still struggeling witht he manual sens because of the falsing too. I guess you need to just work with it a lot and the test objects sounds like a great way to test the sensitivity in manual too.

Boy I bet you wish you could get back to Golden Gate Park for a few days now. I've been there years ago and I'd love to go again. Wonder if the gistappo with the dobermen pinchers and machin guns would meet you at the gate or not. In other words, is it ok to detect there now or not.:)

I have had the same problem. Every ware I hunt is like that. I caint even think of
useing any settings that disc out iron. so I have to use ferrous tones leave open -10
thru -4 if I dont the machine will not read a coin until I touch the coil to it it might chirp
out a tone 1 out of 4 pases and then be gone . I have also just recently been useing the minelab 8 inch coil and I have been finding that the smaller coil acually makes it worse.
I think it might be because the 10.5 is a hotter coil. I have been finding the 8 inch
useless. I like the detector but the other day I had to drag out the 2500 because
I couldn't get the quattro to run stable. due to iron in the ground. if you run a high sens
it nulls out and if you go to low you get no reading on coins at some sites.I have
been wondering if I should have bought it lately.

Daniel, I'm just dying to know. Has any of these post's helped you. I admit your up against a real monster here, but I wonder if Mike or anybody's post's helped you???

Hello Daniel,

Try using the "High Trash" feature, This should speed up the Quattro in the trashy areas.

If the results are the same, Take notice if the signal carries over to the next target, If the signal is discriminated out, it will discriminate the next target even if it's a good target and the opposite if the signal is a good target such as a penny it ill carry over to the next target as good even the next target is iron. This is due to a too a SLOW recovery speed.
Outside in your front yard, place a nail with a dime 6 inches from the nail. See if the dime is discriminated out after passing the coil over the nail first then the recovery speed is too slow. This may be the reason why you detector is nulling allot in the trashy areas, The good signals are discriminated out because the last signal from the iron is carried over to the good target.

Not all Quattro's operate alike. Many need to be recalled!

Paul (Ca)

On my testing on 3 different Quattros I will say you are correct if there is a good target, then a trash target as the good target will carry over to any metal good or bad and sound the same tones until the threshold resets itself. This is why I been saying when you think you have a good target to raise the coil and let the threshold reset, then go over just that target and see what the ID is. Some will null out,some will change tone to the target actual ID and some will read the same tone as it did the first time, so you know it is a good target.
Now in my testing I seen if it see a trash target first, then the coin the coin signal will override the trash signal. In other words it seems to pick up a good target in with a disc out one, but if it see the good target first then the trash the trash will sound good.
Now will be a time for those that have a Quattro to try and see what it does for them. Place the dime and nail close enough so you can lock on to one of them without picking up the other one and when you get a good lock on the coin swing over the nail before the threshold resets a few times, mine kept reading the nail as a dime. Now lock on to the nail and then swing over the coin back and forth before the threshold resets and see what happens. Mine would null over the nail, but get a signal on the dime,not a correct one first time over, but enough you would swing over it on a back swing.
I feel this is why the Quattro will lock on to a good target better than the Explorer will.

Those that have one check it out and post your results as I too am curious what others see.

Rick

find a spot in your yard to bury a test dime that has some iron nearby. 6-9" off to the side is about right. Don't go to deep with the dime, about 6" is good. If you end up with iron on a couple sides of the buried dime so much the better but not too close, several small pieces of iron within 6-12" will gives most machines a good test as the dime will probably only hit from one direction and be inconsistent with ID machines. Larger coils may actually do better in this scenerio. See what the Quattro can do!

Tom

Daniel, what's the latest on your Quatro/ground problem delema. It's been a while, and I just wondered if any of the tips people gave you worked or not? Just curious and I hate to see you give up on such a great detector if there's a way around it. At least keep this in mind. Even if you can't beat the ground there with the Quatro, if it's working properly, that detector will kick butt anywhere else you go that doesn't have that terrible iron ground. Just trying to encourage you a bit. I know at least that I had mucho problems at the beach with my other detectors with falsing until I got the Quatro. Now there's very very few falses and that's usually because I got some wet sand on the coil. Keepin up the torch for Quatro, and good luck.:)