Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Getting PI depth with the Deus, Relic hunting

Old California

Spent about three hours today with the Goldfield program, truly wanted to understand this program as it's one of my favorite features to use for Relic hunting with a couple of other top end detectors. Have used the Goldfield before mainly in a river, worked great especially handling our tough river black sand.

Honestly, Wasn't expecting these great results today at an inland site (farm land) having a touch of mineralization. My main detector for this particular site is a GPX, perfect hunting conditions with not too much iron and what's left are deep signals this is were the GPX flat out out detects my other detectors. Mineralization isn't too bad, but enough to create masking VLF in discrimination mode can't detect too deep.

With the Deus, Was ground balancing around 85 today. Have a test garden of wheat Pennie's buried here, ranging from 6" to 10" inches. Well, At the time they were at this depth but after measuring them today each coin was 1/2" an inch less. I think the recent rains packed down the soil 1/2" an inch, using a Periscope probe to measure the depth but none the less these are decent depths for testing.

Unfortunately, Forgot to pack the GPX battery. But still had one PI (TDI) to compare the Deus with, this is not to be taken as a comparison but to share the Deus can achieve pulse like depth in tough soil when using the Goldfield mode.

In my area, Getting a coin at 10" inches in Farm land mineralization is terrific. A good PI is needed, it's rare for VLF to achieve these depths and in those few case's Prospecting mode was the mode to get coin size targets at these depths. Today, The Deus did extremely well, In fact both HF coils detected the 9.5" penny but only in the Goldfield mode. The other modes with various settings only detected the 5.5" and 6.5" buried pennies, I tried everything and that was the deepest it went and that's because of mineralization.

This was no surprise, From past experience other detectors failed as well. Only one VLF detector (V6) when using discrimination mode can detect these coins, but it suffers getting the smaller conductive finds due to ground masking. Only the MXT Sport, MXT and AT Gold using Prospecting mode can detect these coins and these detectors also don't do well in discrimination mode at this particular site.

I share this because some users need more depth, Switching to Prospecting mode with certain detectors or using Goldfield on the Deus one can achieve more depth. You'll dig more iron but you'll also dig deeper conductive targets you would never have detected before using discrimination mode.

The TDI was fitted with a 10" x 5" folded mono elliptical coil, About the same size as the Deus elliptical and both share lower rod near center of coil which I feel helps balance both TDI and Deus front end. TDI using high conductive mode with GB on, this is a fair setting to compare with other VLF because depth is greatly reduced on a TDI using GB. Which is needed to help eliminate some iron, and gain maxed out on the TDI.

The Deus elliptical was detecting all buried pennies, deepest 9.5" inches. The TDI hit hard on all coins except the deepest it was faint but there. Deus appeared to hit the deepest stronger, audio was clearer more crisp surely a dig me signal. The TDI is a deep Pi, but when using larger coils and switching GB off its extremely deep untouchable under right conditions. But for a fair comparison, TDI settings were for High conductive and GB on.

Here are today's Deus Goldfield settings, these will probably change when conditions are different but for now at this particular farmland site these settings are working.

Sensitivity 98
Frequency 28.8
Reactivity 1 Sometimes 0
Discrimination 3
Threshold, Was using 3 because my headset puck battery died, switched to speaker.
Audio Resp. (2)
XY Screen

I don't like using discrimination with prospecting mode, with the Deus that is one of the features I hope XP with correct in the future. I prefer to hear all audio, Iron needs its own sound separate from conductive. So, I'm finding to use some discrimination to avoid iron. Yet, Careful not to create the deeper conductive targets to express some forum of discrimination audio. Too low discrimination more iron will bleed through and fool the user, too much discrimination deeper conductive targets will be choppy sound like a iron signal easy to pass up. I'm finding using 3 discrimination deeper conductive targets will not show signs of discrimination, signal sounds great especially on weaker signals near surface or on deeper targets. Have experimented with 2 discrimination and it's ok, but getting fooled more often so at the present time 3 discrimination seems to be the magic setting for this particular Farm site.

Threshold, Well my puck battery died so forced to use the speaker off the controller. Would prefer to have a slight hum from a headset rather than controller, maybe tomorrow will get out for a few hours using Goldfield mode. Puck's on the charger this very minute.

Reactivity, Careful this robs depth when in Goldfield mode. Only use what you need depending on ground conditions, and surprisingly one can increase sensitivity quite a bit using Goldfield.

Can't say which of the two HF coils I prefer, see a need for both. The 9" HF coil was a tad deeper over the elliptical, not much but it's noticeable.

Enjoy the Deus, It's a terrific piece of equipment.

Paul

Thank you,

Was able to use the puck today, bumped threshold down to 1 much better with a headset audio was better instead of speaker from controller.

Amazing difference in depth in minerlized soil between Goldfield and the other Deus modes, in most cases 3"-4" inches deeper using Goldfield.

Thanks!
Paul

You bet same here, Once a user understands how mineralization effects depth with discrimination mode. They will be more cautious with settings, experiment continuously until they find what works for them.

Prospecting mode with certain VLF or Goldfield with the Deus is one approach to increase depth for relic hunting in tough soil, it works well for those having patience.

Thanks!
Paul

Thanks David,

Unfortunately, Soil effects depth. Takes discipline and a ton of patience to use prospecting mode for relic hunting. Not a fun mode to use, but it works and pushes down deeper.

Hopefully, XP adds a couple of changes on a future upgrade to the Goldfield. It's a great mode but still room for improvement, overall a good feature especially depth it's deep with Goldfield.

Thanks again David,
Paul

I've tried the goldfield in my test garden. I would like to use it is some areas with little trash where everythings deep. But the problem I have in the test garden is it gives a really good read out on the deep targets but no tone. My soil at my house is very low mineral but have a lot of EMI is this makes a difference. thanks.

I'm glad you brought this up having no tone on deep targets, sort of experienced the same when first using Goldfield.

Here are two features that should help, and one will only work when ground allows. You mentioned having low mineralization, that is good this shouldn't be a problem.

Run Reactivity at it's lowest possible setting, Zero (0) if possible. Out in open areas low with mineralization, low trash the Deus gets serious depth with a low setting of Reactivity.

The second feature (Audio Resp.), helps enhance weak tiny surface targets or deeper targets audio. Makes a difference, but you'll loose some of the modulation on deep targets now sound like surface targets. You'll need to find the right setting for your type of hunting, I believe each users are different as i prefer some modulation yours or others may be the opposite.

However, There are times around noisy conditions I will need to hear those deep weaker signals clearer. Ocean, traffic or using one cup headset in the summer the audio needs to be amplified. So with most of my detectors including the Deus will pump up Audio Resp. to hear deeper targets clearer.

Hope this helps, and if other Deus users have tips please do share.

Good luck, please let us know if this helps. All the best.
Paul