Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Getting the hang of the EX11

sopg1155

I follow the forum all of the time but this is my first time posting
here.I have had my EX11 for 6 months or so and was getting upset with
not finding anything really great with it.I got out for awhile this
morning to the school that I live a few blocks from and made a great
find with it.I had my heart set on a seated liberty coin but had to
settle for the 1835 Capped Bust Halfdime that I found.I also picked up a few wheaties and a 42 Mercury to go with it.The EX11 is a great
machine when you finally get it figured out.
Gary

Gary,
Great finds.. and an encouraging story for me..
I'm trailing behind you in getting the hang of the Explorer..
is there anything specific that helped you get the
hang of the Explorer? Anything that sticks out in your mind
that started to make that light bulb come on in your mind?

What modes and settings of detecting did you finally settle on?!

Dan

Dan,I have been having the same kind of problems with the EX11 that you have been talking about with yours.I had the sensitivity turned
down to 16-17 and was working it real slow and got a broken high tone
with the crosshairs bouncing around in the upper right hand corner and
decided to dig it and came up with the half dime at around 9 inches
deep and a half dime is a very,very small coin.I think that my problem
with the EX11 was with having the sensitivity turned up too high.I turned it down to 17 manual and it still got great depth.After finding
the half dime and a mercury dime both in one day has made me change
my mind on getting rid of my EX11.Keep praciticing with it and it will
really get a lot easier to find the old deep coins.
Gary

Thanks Gary,
I've definitely had that hammered into my head here..
you do not have to "push" the sensitivity to get deep..
in fact, from what I understand, stability is the key..
good to hear a real life experience with it.. from someone
with close to the same experience as me...
I haven't had a chance to get out recently.. I've received
a lot of good info here.. just got to go out and try it.

Thanks again,
Dan

Dan,

Hang in there. I got my machine in April and feel like I've just gotten the hang on this thing in the last 2 months or so.

Hello Joe,
I'm hanging.. I'm hanging..
sitting here with window open and cool breeze..
birds singing..
temperature should get up into the 80s this afternoon.

I'm off of work tomorrow.. burning up some vacation time I will loose if I don't use before retirement.. 2-3 months away..thinking of getting out early tomorrow and do some detecting.. but.. then.. the boat is kind of calling also.. life is rough!!!? :biggrin:

If I get that excal to throw on the boat... life would be even
rougher..:wacko: but.. I've still got some "practicing/testing" to do with the explorer.. so.. I'll keep looking for a good deal..

How about you with the explorer?! Seems to me.. when it is said to slow the sweep speed down... it took me a while to figure out.. just how slow that meant.. when I finally figured that out.. I was amazed.. I never would have guessed THAT slow.. I guess "slow" is relative.. and.. I guess.. figuring out exactly what "stable" meant..
like what is the difference of running "hot" and being "unstable"..

I do believe I have a grasp on it now.. with all the info shared here.. from those highly experience with the Explorer to those closer to my low level of experience.. with all that experienced shared here.. the learning curve is drastically reduced for those like me... and with experience from those closer to my level.. makes it hit home.. and.. makes me realize... I not totally nuts!!! :crazy:

Hope the weather is still allowing you to get out.. it is still very nice here.. unseasonably warm for this time of year.

Let's see... do I boat or detect tomorrow?! :nerd:

Dan

Hey Gary great find. I've had my expII a year and a half and with the help of this forum i'm getting the hang of it. I used to be a full line dealer so I have owned all the top line machines. The best thing i ever did was to make a coin garden. Learn the sounds at all depths. The expII is not like any machine i've ever used.It will talk to you but you have to learn its tune. That takes a lot of time but it will be time well spent. You don't buy a Corvett and expect it to handle like a Ford Pinto,you have to get a feel for it. As far as sensitivity goes you will be amaised how deep it will go set on 1 auto. I forgot and left mine on 1 last week after doing some tests and checked my buddys signal he had on a coin at 6" and had no problem IDing it. Remember the sens. controll dose not controll how deep the signal goes down it effects its ability to read the signal that is returned.
Good Luck
Al

:unsure: I thought that might be kind of the reaction you would have.:spin:
But.. you've got all the good finds.. so there..

Dan

Thanks Al,
I will post a picture of it if I can figure out how to post a photo on
here.I have had my EX11 almost a year and was thinking of getting rid
of it because I wasn't making any deep and great finds with it.I had
my heart set on finding a seated liberty coin of any kind and finding
the half dime was even more fantastic.It would have been impossible to
find it in the dirt if it wasn't for the X1 probe.It made it even bett
er when I found the 42 mercury dime awhile later.