Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Ghost towns/mining camps-----Detector ?

El

What is your preferred detector for hunting Ghost towns,mining camps and stage stops,etc. that are iron infected. The iron size at these locations can very as you all know.

I was told that the Vista Gold would be a good choice if the iron was only small but we know that is not the case.

Thanks for your info.

I use a Garrett 2500. It discriminates very well. We also have an Ace 250 that is good and we'll be purchasing the AT Pro this month. I think you can do well with just about any detector once you learn to use it properly and undestand what the tones, needle, or scale are telling you.

XP Deus! this type of hunting is where this detector shines. Recovery speed is what you need.

You might want to take a look at the AT Gold, too. It's what I've been running, and my sites are paved in rotten iron. You'll still dig some iron, of course, but with the 5x8 coil, I've had pretty good luck picking through it. You can click on my name to see all my posts with my findings ( I mostly just post in the AT PRo / AT Gold forum). I haven't had the chance to try the Deus - it may be much better, but I believe it's also fairly expensive - so, may depend on your budget. The ATs give a lot of value for the price.

I too like the AT Gold and the AT Pro.
I think this is one of those questions that you ask 100 guys and you'll get 100 different answers.
Most importantly is understanding what your detector is telling you; this will only come through experience and every detector is a little different. Have patience and learn what the numbers on your read out are saying and the tones. Are they low frequency or high frequency? Where does gold signal vs silver vs iron vs lead vs brass? It all matters.

H.Charles

H.Charles Beil said:
I too like the AT Gold and the AT Pro.
I think this is one of those questions that you ask 100 guys and you'll get 100 different answers.
Most importantly is understanding what your detector is telling you; this will only come through experience and every detector is a little different. Have patience and learn what the numbers on your read out are saying and the tones. Are they low frequency or high frequency? Where does gold signal vs silver vs iron vs lead vs brass? It all matters.

H.Charles

Very well said Charles, the only person that can fully answer the question does not exist because he would have to owned every detector made and know how to use them.

I agree on the atgold and the 5x8 coil, the gold has more iron discrim than most machines, think pro only has 40 compared to the golds 44 if i remember right. I have done well with the 5x8, recently bought the Nel sharp 5

gold bug pro :thumbup:

I think one way to narrow down your search might be what are you looking for ? are looking for nuggets in old tailing piles or ?I live in northern Nevada and do a lot of detecting in and around old mining camps ect and I use a mxt pro most of the time with a 6x9 DD (id like to try the little 5" coil heard it works well in trashy areas) .iam a relic hunter and in 2 tone it will tell me the difference between a nail and a 22 bullet no problem .if I was looking for gold id probably go with a GB2 thats what my friend who hunts rye patch uses.

Deus.

I always like Tesoro's Golden uMax in the old mining camps mostly because there was so much big iron. On the Golden the big Iron would give a rolling tone and you could easily tell it was big iron, while my other models would hi tone on it. It was much less fatiguing to use in the big iron sites. Another detector I liked to use around big iron was the Fisher CoinStrike. You could tune the coil so that you could hunt right next to big surface iron with out it overloading and get very little big iron interference. Another good detector next to surface iron is the Fisher F5. The F5 has a very unique overload feature....it will overload for maybe 2 seconds and then reset. You could can get right next to big iron, listen to the overload for a couple of seconds while waiting for it to reset and then pull away and hear any small signals the big iron was masking. Very good detector around big iron when you needed to control footprint and big iron masking response.