Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Gift for retired dad, which one?

kellyjwood

My parents are retired and will be spending the winter at Myrtle Beach. My sister and I are planning on surprising our father with a metal detector for Christmas, as he has always wanted one. Being completely clueless, I've spent the last couple of weeks trying to research which model would be best, but am afraid that I am more confused now than when I started. We would like to spend no more than $300 to $400. From the info that I have been able to gather, it seems that some can be very frustrating to use and we would definitely like to avoid that if at all possible. Something that will keep his interest while giving him some much needed exercise on the beach (just had heart bypass surgery). One question that I have, even after researching, is that if we purchase one that can be used in shallow water, will that mean it has less performance on dry ground? Seeing that they will be living right on the beach, would you suggest one that is capable to go in shallow water, or does it really matter? Any suggestions/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! Kelly

This is a tough one...for one thing, he will also need a scoop, a long handle light weight one so he doesnt have to bend over for a target...something with a small 5" basket, aluminum preferably, due to its light weight and ease of use...get a mid priced rig, something that may have some resale or trade in value if he decides to upgrade or get out of the sport altogether...something light and comfortable..also some nice headphones...all of which you are looking at an easy 800 bucks...and thats on the low end side...you should post this question on the 'beach hunters' forum for some exact gear advice...good on you daughters!:clapping: Perhaps a local detectorist would be willing to spend a bit of time with your father to show him the ropes, take him out maybe? In which case, you wouldnt have to buy him anything! Just the hook up with a knowledgeable local would be worth the effort and show him you care! I'd tip the local, or offer to pay him for on site training if you are so inclined...hang out and post and somebody would step up for that..:thumbup:
Mud