Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Give a Little Whistle - Nope!

flysar

What are the chances of finding a coaches whistle in this condition and the cork too?

Dug a 3" deep plug and the metal pieces were a tad deeper. Recognized it as a whistle and thought to myself, how old & what are the chances of finding the cork ball. Lying right on top the removed dirt was the ball!

A couple references I found state 1930s

Whistles are cool to find, one of the odd things that are favorites of mine along with pocket knifes and watch parts in any shape or condition.
I have found several, mostly around sports fields and some were crushed but others were in great shape and all I needed to do is clean out the dirt and they worked as perfect as ever.
Whistle history goes back a long way, centuries actually, a very interesting history and as such the older ones are highly collectable.
You have the tubular kind and this type which are known as snail or escargot whistles, among others.
A major business for several companies starting in the 1800's but they go back way further than that on some boatswain and other whistles...even back to the 14th century.
Some very interesting history on this site.

http://www.whistlemuseum.com

This was a great find in my book.

Nice collection you have! Good find.