Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Give us your best Tesoro tips!

mike5853

Ok guys and gals, with nicer weather coming, I hope soon here in NJ, I thought it might be a good time to help those who are new to detecting or new to Teosro get off to a good start by posting your tips or insights to using your Tesoro detectors. Maybe it

Great post Mike. A tip for the Outlaw......when in all metal mode and you get a very narrow deep soft signal, switch to disc mode with min disc setting. If you get no sound from any direction , supertune it. If it now comes in even faint, DIG DIG DIG...i've got a seated dime and silver quarter using this method...

(1. They go deeper with less disc.-I set mine to where an iron nail "clips" the signal.
(2. They're two filter machines and a reasonably slow sweep speed goes deeper. The "Tesoro shake" is good for trash-not depth.
(3. If in an area where there are lots of tabs, set the disc to where they ":crackle". Finds coins UNDER tabs and goes deeper. This tip is from Jack himself.
(4. I won a speed hunt using the "eyespot" method of pinpointing. Some call it the "magic eye" The moment the detector gives it's strongest beep, "freeze" your eyes on the spot on the ground where the beep occured. A couple of sweeps and you're there!
(5. Tie a trash apron around one of your lower legs and then you won't have to stand up straight, look for the pouch, and inhale your gut to put the trash in.:rofl:

Tip 1) read as many posts on Tesoro forums as possible.

Tip 2) read them again.

Get A DeLeon and live happily ever after.........Best advice I can offer is get out and use your machine as often as possible and you will get to know what your machine is telling you. The more you dig the more you learn.

Build a good collection of coils and use the one that is right for the job.

Less discrimination equals more depth.

Work to improve your recovery time - rapidly moving from one target to the next improves your chances of finding something awesome.

#1 tip
Reading posts over and over is fine..BUT
You have to go out and swing the coil to find stuff. There is no way around it.
That white or grey stuff between your ears can do a lot more than we give it credit.
You'll find that with practice you'll find more and better targets an your best bet is to dig everything.
Do not engagae your brai and start to think maybe I should only dig some...
Like we all do when we take a test that our first guess that comes to mind is right,
The brain is a pretty amazing tool when you let IT do the work.

Don't wait till you get 2 beeps to change your battery, max performance falls off before that.

This is actually not true. Voltage regulators and rectifiers ensure that the required voltage is present to run the unit at the same level at all times. If the battery is about to die...then it will go below the factory designated threshold and the machine will not function at all. It isnt like a lightbulb that gets dimmer as the voltage drops. It's deeper water than that...and that is fact. Ask The boys who build em at Tesoro...hope this helps.

LittleJohn

If using the Compadre, take advantige of its strengths, and not its weaknesses, for example -- The compadre is one of the best detectors for getting close to metal poles and fences it will be on the return swing but if somthing is between the fence or pole it will beep . I found so many things by poles and fences that other detectors could not get at . no comments on the outlaw yet as i have not taken it to a real park yet

The Thresh hold on the Vaquero and Cibola can also be used in the Disc Mode. Setting the TH at say 1:00 will give you a diminishing beep as your targets gets deeper. If you set it at the 3:00 position, you will get a constant level beep to the maximum depth of the target. Setting it at 3:00 will help hear those deep targets on windy days or if your hunting a noisy location.

If jewelry hunting with your Compadre, keep your discrimination below FOIL. Contrary to popular belief, most gold jewelry falls in the foil range, not the pull tab range.

Please try to dig cleah plugs. Use a rag to put your dirt on it. Pick up all trash. Leave it better than you found it. Give us a good name. Help others to learn how to swing the coil and dig a plug. Be proud of helping others....KEN

If your detector is not working right, -- do not smash it with a hammer it may just be the battery--

If you are hunting in a silent search mode and are not getting targets- make sure detector is on.

Howdy people, these tips are for newbies and old hands alike......

...When you are in the public eye, be mindful of your digging, be neat and pick up all of the trash you dig and put it in your pouch. I use a carpenter's nail pouch that I got free at the lumber yard. Do not use a relic shovel in a public park, I use a Predator 85 digger. I've seen so many bad detecting videos with guys using shovels in parks, It just makes me sick. Whenever we are out where people can observe our hobby activities, we need to keep up a good reputation, we are ambassadors of the sport after all. I keep hearing of all the public places that are being banned from metal detecting, I just wonder how long it will be before I have to give up the hobby. I live in a rural area and still have plenty of old homesteads to hunt, but a guy has to go knock on doors. The people that rely on being able to hunt public areas in big cities, those are the ones I feel for....... I just wonder how long it will be before every place is shut down:thumbdown:

...A few thoughts on Tesoro metal detectors, first off read the manual, if it has a manual ground balance, practice doing it over and over until you can do it in the dark. Make yourself a coin garden with zinc pennies, nickels, dimes and quarters, just don't bury them too deep. Get familiar with the audio, Tesoros really talk, learn the language, plenty soon you will recognize the round sound of a good target. I use low discrimination where I can and then only use enough disc. to knock out the most annoying trash. Where I hunt in the rural areas, I use just enough discrimination to knock out nails. If you hunt with non-metered Tesoros at parks and public places, learn the thumbing the disc. knob to show where targets drop out at. I like metered Tesoros for public places and old house yards where you are under the ever watchful eyes and use my non-metered Tesoro detectors in my rural areas for relic and old coin recovery.

Show off your Trash!! That's right, show it off! I always keep my trash in a plastic see-through zip bag and when I'm in a new park or a park I hunt regularly, I always present it to anyone who stops by to see how I'm doing. Whether it's a park employee or someone out for a walk, show them the trash and let them know you're helping to keep the park both clean, and safe. You'd be amazed how their eyes light up when you show them and I've always receive a "Thank you". One day I recovered a 30/06 live round and when the park employee saw that they responded with "HOLY S###"! Now when they see me hunting they always wave or say hi, and of course when they ask how I'm doing, I always make sure to show them the good finds and the trash.

Here is a video I made on threshold on Tesoro detectors.

[video]http://youtu.be/FvXO6H049wY[/video]

II have found that with the threshold set about 1 oclock on my tesoro, a silver dime will get quieter as discrimination is increased . Dont know about silver quarters. Havent found one yet.