Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

GMH III question

willy

I have an original GMH and have a GMH III coming soon and have a question regarding the ground balance in disc. mode. Now, I've read a number of posts claiming that the GB is a preset in disc. Well, reading through the manual, I came across a statement that seems to contradict this. Here it is: " Even though the Motion All
Metal mode automatically adjusts ground balance, we suggest the Motion Beach Mode be
selected to reduce any response the wet, salted sands." Also, there's a posting from a while back that seems to confirm this http://www.findmall.com/read.php?32,798610,800994#msg-800994 . Here's part of the posting: "Observation 3 The Garrett CXII has auto GB in Disc mode, this will cause your CXII air test reading to be less than stellar.. If you turned the loop to a target free ground, then measured the distance above the coil, that might be a better measurement. Still in ground performance is what we are looking for, and in ground target comparison is the best way to compare two different detectors, or depth capability of a (single) detector.

Now, the long of it

Some brands of detectors will air test very well, while others do not. The electrical interference encountered will vary from place to place and will affect air testing results. Air testing is a handy benchmarking technique to get a general idea of performance, but in ground performance is where it really matters. If air testing a detector and you don't get more than 4 or 5 inches on a penny, then there is probably something wrong, or not setup right.

Detectors that have Auto ground balance (not the same as pre-set or manual) will track off to the air environment the coil is exposed to, and this will cause those machines to not appear to get good results." Looking at the online owners manual, the CXII has auto ground tracking in the Disc mode.
What do you guys think? I'm also wondering if the original GMH tracks the ground too. ..Willy.

Okay.....The GMHlll has a "salt elimination" in beach mode that is really not explained as such, but it is there. More recent models actually have a "Salt Elimination" feature that you can scroll to in the menu and select while using any discrimination mode. Both the GMHlll and GTA 1000 had a "Beach Mode" as one of the discrimination mode settings and within this mode(but not really explained as such)is this "salt elimination" feature. Hence the manuals suggestion to use Beach as opposed to all metal(motion)mode.
The Original GMH will automatically ground balance in discrimination mode, but this is, of course, not the same as"Fast Track"option found in more recent models while using non-motion all metal mode. It's more like how the Ace or other motion disc units auto ground balance. Also, of course, the original only has manual ground balancing in all metal non-motion mode(which I love)like the Scorpion.
Hope I made sense. Good luck with those machines. They are alot of fun! Happy Hunting!:)