Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

GMZ And Silent Threshold

We have been reading about the development of the simple nugget detector by Whites, the GMZ. The big question is, why did they build a nugget detector with a silent threshold?? Generally a nugget detectorist with a vlf detector runs his manual ground balance either dead on or slightly positive for a bit more push on the signal, and sets his manual threshold so you get a slight buzzing from the circuits so you can hear any slight difference in sound as you are detecting for gold. Any ideas as to why this machine was built with a silent threshold?? Is it a auto threshold of some sort, auto adjusting to conditions? Will it break silent threshold on a half grain nugget? What are the advantages of this silent threshold?

As I recall, the reason was to make it simple for the beginner. It's the reason a lot of the lower priced machines have no threshold. Many first time users are confused as to what it is, why it's there, and the correct way to set it. The whole machine is a simplifed GMT. There is no threshold, VSAT, boost, iron ID, or meter. Ground balance and gain are the only controls. It is set just below the point of hearing so most targets will be heard. It's those soft whispers that an experienced user will hear with a threshold but will not break through a silent search machine. A beginner wouldn't hear those anyway or recognize them.

Digger Bob

Cheap and dirty low cost entry unit. I think it will discourage and NOT encourage new users to the art of detecting as just too much of the good technology stripped away. Kinda Yugoish now instead ......not the way to drum up repeat business but to each their own-John

Hoser John said:
Cheap and dirty low cost entry unit. I think it will discourage and NOT encourage new users to the art of detecting as just too much of the good technology stripped away. Kinda Yugoish now instead ......not the way to drum up repeat business but to each their own-John

It's a really good detector and very easy to use. I think it's good detector for the money.

I agree Jim.

Both the GMZ and the replacement SGT Sierra gold track, are nice gold units. In fact I find they both have nice little secrets over hot ground that the dearer GMT cannot cope with.
You can ride the GB and sensitivity in a way over some ground types and obtain better depth than the gmt. Silent search may be the catch phrase, but get them to make a bit of noise is the key.

I field tested it for Silver & Gold Annual, I believe it was published in 2009. Digger Bob,
Hoser John, and snakejim are all correct. When I tested it I kept my hearing aides on
and used the built in speaker.... Naturally this was when I was out in the desert around
Randsburg. tailgate jim straight