Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

goes dead in cj program

johno

i have had the v3 for 3 weeks now and have found lots of clad ,2 rosies and 1 small ring. mostly in cj program and modified hipro. i was starting to build some confidence until the last 4 times out. the machine would stop reading and i would have no audio. i would be swingin away fine with vdi working, depth workin and all of a sudden id only see a depth in upper left corner with nothing else happening. so id get apenny or quarter out and swing in front of the coil and there would be nothing. i would click the trigger back twice and nothin, id click once and nothin. id change programs and come back and it would work fine. i would be in cj program id ground balance check sensitivity in 6 block and set rx at or below what it recommended. when workng works great. but when youre going along and after 10-20 feet you find its not working makes you wonder what youve missed. i was just wondering if anyone else has run into this. any recommendations would be appreciated. i hope its something im doing and not the machine. other than that i think its great.

You might want to try a couple things... (Hopefully somebody will have something better for an answer, but not being there, it's hard to tell what's happening, so this is my guess - I'm probably way off).

1) Try increasing the track speed if the ground is changing significantly over distance. When changing programs, the detector may be going into the fast track mode for a while and resetting to the current ground which might correct this. By the same token, how long does it seem to be giving audio before it quits? When you power on your detector, it is in the fast track mode for 20 seconds. And if there are iron targets in the ground that are in the track range, the detector might be tracking to them rather than real ground. You can exit the fast track mode, by doing the manual fast track - pull the trigger and press enter and bob the machine until the audio changes are at a minimum (about 4 bobs). Then exit (release enter - then release the trigger).
2) Disable autotrack. Just manually track (trigger/enter) periodically to capture the current ground.
3) If you disable visual disc (zoom the disc live control) you should see the VDI that your coins are coming in at. It sounds like the coins are coming in a region that you have discriminated out - you see a depth, but no VDI). That might help figure out where the detector thinks the coins are.

says 1.3 redbird.i hope its something im doing, tommorrow if it doesnt rain ill go out and try to see if i can figure it out. ive been using the 5.3 coil and its be working great. if it happens tommorrow ill switch back to the 10 inch and see what happens. i made sure i didnt have tx boost on and i lowered the rx way down when it happened. but still did it. i checked the headphone batteries they were at 2.45 and main battery was 10.6 so i dont think it was that.i was running7.5 filter and tried 5 and 10 it still happened. ill try fresh batteries all around and keep an eye on that.if i figure anything out ill post. i cant believe its the machine. its gotta be something simple. well im hoping.

thanks ak ill try your rcommendations. im kinda a newb here so it gets a little confusing for an ole timer. the thing that gets me is that it runs along fine. ground probe doesnt seem to change much. im just going 20 feet one direction and back again. like i previously posted . ill check with all fresh batteries first thing in the morning and take note when and if it happens again and what im doing when it does. i cant believe its the machine because its been running great. it does happen in more than 1 place .... ill have to pay attention to any high tension wires also. maybe theyre doin some thing. thanks again

hey redbird i just noticed today that when i turn the machine on it says version 1.3 but when i go to expert and check my wireless headphone voltage it says 1.1. does anyone know if this could cause a problem or not. i went out with fresh batteries this morning and the 10 inch dd coil. things seemed to be working fine. then i noticed things were quite so i pick up coil and swung quarter in front of it and nothin, but i noticed the screen had a bunch of red discriminated vertical bars on it. as soon as they clearded i passed the quarter again and the machine responded. so maybe ive been reacting to quick to the no noise situation. i also done what ak suggested and disabled autotrack and searched for awhile. went over wherre id been the day before and found a few more clad. somaybe there was enough junk around it was nulling out, if thats what they call it? its all new to me. anyway found another dozen clad coins in a couple hours. so hopefully its operator error. hopefully the 2 different versions i mentioned arent a problem. i want to thank all for there input. im slowly climbing the learning curve. hopefully its just a matter of time in the field.

johno said:
hey redbird i just noticed today that when i turn the machine on it says version 1.3 but when i go to expert and check my wireless headphone voltage it says 1.1. does anyone know if this could cause a problem or not. i went out with fresh batteries this morning and the 10 inch dd coil. things seemed to be working fine. then i noticed things were quite so i pick up coil and swung quarter in front of it and nothin, but i noticed the screen had a bunch of red discriminated vertical bars on it. as soon as they clearded i passed the quarter again and the machine responded. so maybe ive been reacting to quick to the no noise situation. i also done what ak suggested and disabled autotrack and searched for awhile. went over wherre id been the day before and found a few more clad. somaybe there was enough junk around it was nulling out, if thats what they call it? its all new to me. anyway found another dozen clad coins in a couple hours. so hopefully its operator error. hopefully the 2 different versions i mentioned arent a problem. i want to thank all for there input. im slowly climbing the learning curve. hopefully its just a matter of time in the field.

You have the latest versions on both detector and headphones. The headphones are at 1.1.

Were the red lines generated by the quarter, or was it something in the ground (or the ground itself) causing the red lines? It does sound like you don't have it tracked to the right place when you get this problem. You do want to make sure that the machine is tracked to the current ground (for now in this ground condition, leave it in lock track and manually balance - once you get to know the detector you'll probably be able to put it in autotrac again). Something else you might want to try is to reduce your recovery delay maybe. I don't know what your setting is, but if it's too high, it won't respond as fast to targets close to trash. Some like the setting of 80, I've heard others like a setting of 40 (faster recovery).

Could a dirty coil cover say 1 with some iron in the mix cause something like that? Just thinking out loud with my key board. Yazoo

I think I read somewhere that that happened too. I forget where and who, but when the cover was taken off, read back to normal and worked.

ak the red lines were something in the ground. not the quarter. i think thats what ill try for awhile lock trac and see how it goes. thanks for info on the version numbers. i o have a coil cover on it. so ill have to take it off and check it out yazoo. ive been going to do that but its a pain to get off . thanks for the info,

John, unless you hunt in rocky terrain or gravel alot, I wouldn't even use the cover. I know of only 1 person that had to replace a coil after about 6 years of literally, constant use without a cover. Signals can't "be corrupted" if there's no cover.

Just my opinion.

If you really like to use a coil cover ,you can always sand or dremel the edge of the cover to make a nice slip fit hand on and off very easy. Yazoo

>>ive been going to do that but its a pain to get off <<

COIL COVER--Use a block of wood, and tap the cover around the edge till the cover comes off.

I put a SMALL bead of clear Silicone caulk around the in & outer edge. DONE=NO MORE PROBLEMS ! ! !

Jerry

Re: Coil Cover Removal - 8 weeks ago
To all who have this problem you can easily remove the coil if you get yourself a small drum sanding bit , make sure you use a "drillpress"not a hand drll !{ small standing is nice }, if not you might have one in the your work place or maybe your neighbor. Set up the sanding bit in the drill press and carefully sand off the inside edge of the coil, work against the rotation of the press and you should have no problem and the coil will easily come off without doing major damage to the cover or coil there is no need to tear up the coil