Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Going for the gold

Allen in MT

A mine owner friend of mine Ralph and gold hunting partner was asked by the an environmental group to do a panning class at the old mining ghost town of Garnet here in weatern MT. There were 6 stations set up all related to the mining industry to shopw all the pros and cons, At first we had our doughts, but went ahead with it. The BLM supplied us with a couple of extra personnel to help, Why the help?? Well this class was for a group of kids from various schools in the area. Each group was sized at about 15 to 17 students. A little talk was given by Ralph and myself about placer mining, then a demo about panning and then each wan was given a pan with bag of con and vial. Each bag contained about 7 little pieces for a total of 2 to 3 grains.
Everything went very smoothly and the kids liked our station the best of all. I wonder why!
Here are a few pictures of the days activities. We got thru all 119 kids on time.
enjoy and hagd
Allen in MT

Allen, I want to personally thank you for taking the time away from your every day duties to educate and energize these young people. Your partner (Ralph) and you are exactly what this country needs. We all need to do more of our part to help educate the Future Prospectors and Detectorists of Tomorrow or many of us will not have jobs. I have helped in times past and to see the smiles on the faces as they eagerly swish through the pan and in anticipation of Gold is incredible. Maybe not all of them will catch Gold Fever, but if just a few do, then hopefully our hobby and this industry will continue.

Having the Environmentalists ask for your help is quite unique and then to have the BLM step in and help some is even more positive. The only other thing that could have made things better is if the local television station or Newspaper were there to do an article as well.

For anyone else that decides to do something like this in the future, please ask their local TV and Paper to attend and be ready to show the world what enjoyment these youngsters have. Just think of all the kids who hopefully will go back home to mom or dad and ask for a Gold Pan and to possibly go camping with the family. Most of us who read this forum already know what enjoyment we have in the outdoors and that is why we are who we are today. The problem is that most kids now are more interested in TV, video games, cell phones and hanging out with their friends. Most kids today have no clue that the majority of the electronics they use are full of metals and such that are mined, forested or grown from earth.

You probably worked your fanny off and then spent the next 3 days relaxing and trying to get caught up. Bu I bet you enjoyed seeing their smiles and answering their questions? Hopefully it was worth it?

Allen/Ralph, Next time you come through Boise, let me know and I