Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Going to beach, which coil?

Ok, so I am taking my Sovereign GT to the beach in a few weeks. have never run it on a beach before so I would like your opinion as to which coil to take. I have the
S-8 Intruder, a SEF 12 x 15 and the stock Tornado. Which would be the best for hunting open beaches? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and hh, Bill

Do you have a good size scoop?

If the Tornado is 10 inch it might be sufficient and with a good size scoop you can fit the coil in the hole as you dig to help pinpoint the target.

I have the SEF 12 x 15 on a excal and I use it on the Treasure coast beaches looking for old deep targets. It's deep and gives good coverage.

If you are going to busy public beaches looking for recent drops a 10" Tornado would be fine.

My friend hip mounts his and uses a 10 inch Tornado. It has a threshold that just purrs.

I would bring them both. If there is EMI in the area the Tornado may run smoother.

Get a good long handled scoop

I have used both the Tornado and the SEF at the beach. Both of them performed admirably. The SEF gives more coverage and gives great depth. Take both coils with you and let them tell you which one you like the best.

Robos' comments are a plus for me. Dry sand hunting you are best to use a larger coil for coverage....... its not really about depth because most beaches have been hunted for years. Cover more beach effectively looking for recent drops...... you are going to be digging targets deeper than you want to anyway. Near the water......everything changes, the larger coils takes in more material so depending on the beach minerals that standard coil will do you just as well.