Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Going to Galveston, TX for Christmas through New Years, does it still exist after hurricane Ike?

digitrich

I know that they got hammered by Ike, has anyone had any luck beach detecting since the hurricane? I am also wondering if the area has recovered since the hurricane or are most hotels and restaurants still closed?:detecting:

I 've haven't been down to Galveston since before the storm but I know there are restaurants and hotels open. I'm brand new to detecting and I'm waiting for UPS to deliver my detector which will probably be Monday. I get emails from one of the companies that owns hotels in Galveston...from The Galvez and they have been open for quite some time, serving Sunday brunch, etc. There was also the Dickens On The Strand in early December that is a regular festival and they held that so things are getting together. As far as the detecting, I don't know since I haven't done it yet. Let us know how you do.

Yes Galveston is up and runing again. They are rebuilding the beashes at this time all the way from
the South jetty to the end of the sea wall. They are scraping off 2 to 3 feet of the beach at the end of
the jetty and at Stewart beach and trucking it to the west end of the sea wall. They are expected to put
in as much as 5 feet deep at the base of the sea wall and out into the water 200 feet from what they
put out in the news. Was down there when they were first starting but not in the last month. After they
get done taking what they want at that ede they will start at the west end of the sea wall and rebuild
from there all the way to the west end of the island. Also they are going to bring in a large dredge and
pump sand from off shore of the beach to replace what they took to rebuild the beaches in front of
the sea wall. This may turn out great for M/Ding or it may make it a waste of time untill they have
some weather. Locals will be hitting the areas hard as the work go's on as could be expected. Wish I
had time to check it out myself but am able to fit it in at this time. If I do I will post what I find out.