Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Gold and Conglomerate

Digger Bob

Thought I would post a picture of this little find from last year. This is a great example of gold in conglomerate. Conglomerate is formed in the very heart of the ancient tertiary channels. These were the ancient river beds that the 49ers looked for and were heavily mined using hydraulic methods in the 1850's. Some times specimens like this can be found in the tailings and rubble left behind with a detector. This picture is a small sample. I can post a picture of a larger piece of this kind of rock along with a more detailed description of how this is formed and how the gold got there... if any one is interested. Things are a mite slow on this forum so it might liven things up a bit.

Digger Bob

G' Day Bob,

I'm very interested to learn more about how its formed that's one beautiful specimen, what detector do you use Bob.
Regards Buckau

That is one of the best examples of conglomerate gold I have seen and I would definitely love to see more.:detecting:

How much was in that piece BTW?

JP

That is NICE, tell us more, and do you remove the gold,?? if so HOW? or should it be left as is, is the value in CURIO type or Gold type ? I have never seen this=live in Indiana, Thanks for sharing.
Bugar

In this particular case, I would not remove the gold. It's a unique specimen as there are multiple nuggets encased and you can see them. That's not always the case. The best way to remove them is to gently crush the rock in a mortar and pestle, freeing the nuggets. Small pieces of rock like this can be easily ground up.

Digger

I have three detectors I use depending on the area. Whites TDI, Whites GM 3, Minelab 3500. All of them scream over something like this.

Digger

That is a very awesome find, Bob...How much gold do you reckon is in it? Up on the South fork of the Scott River, near Callahan, CA, there's a large run of cemented gravel where we used to find nuggets cemented in, but none as cool as that piece...They were a pain in the butt to recover...Like trying to mine a cement road...We always crushed it up for the gold because there was no market for chunks of cement with gold in them...Times have changed in the past 30+ years I guess! ... Great find... Cheers, Unc

Absolutely stunning specimen. You can actually see the individual nuggets, all of which have previously been shaped and eventually cemented together. Just fantastic! WOW!

Marco

Ron, as near as I can tell, there seems to be about 7 small nuggets in there, maybe 5 if a couple are the same ones with different parts exposed.
I'd say the total wt. to be around 5 to 7 dwt.

Digger

That is pretty cool Digger. Have you ever wondered how many fines are in there too? My son found a piece one day and after we smashed all the gold out that we could find with the VSAT, the count was 69 pieces but often thought, I should have panned the rest.

Digger, You should post on here more often. Just as well as I should too.

That is a fine example:super: and I enjoy you posting and sharing info on here for all the greenies we have picked up over the winter.

I look forward to seeing more.

Thanks for sharing.

Gerry