Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

GOLD! And it was neither coin nor ring!!!

Ronstar

Bear with me guys, I done it!!! My first gold!!
I had some time to kill this morning so quickest place to hit is the green beach known as those blasted intramural fields at the University. Started out slow, a game token and a few clads mostly nickels and dimes. One quarter. Walked across the field to dump my $$$ in tabs and foil seals and started back across towards my truck. Had a hot date with the neighbor lady to ATV out to the plum patch to pick plums.

In the middle of the fields is a gravel road that leads out to the old parking lot by where the baseball field used to be, been there forever. Halfway out is a quadrangle set up of four small backstops for ball diamonds. As I crossed the road and moved over to the other edge the F75 went bang on a solid 20 (foil) hit. I’ve done enough of these now to not get excited. Swept it again, 20. No give and strong clear tone. Moved 90 degrees, 20. Kept going in a circle and it kept saying 20. Depth said 2-3” so put handheld Garrett on the ground. Beep!!! I seemed to be getting two separate hits with both the F75 and with the Garrett. Two pieces of bottle foils???

Usually the bottle foils, gum foils, and the like will bounce a little between 18-22 and have that bit of a chirp on the tone, whatever this was 20, clear, no chirp, and the size of a travel mug in my mind. Curiosity now has the cat.

This spot is road bed, 3/4” minus on top and 1” plus base rock under and Im literally on the edge. First attempt with trowel was a no go, period. Tried Lesche shovel and maybe 2” and stopped. Thought seriously about walking away but we all know if it’s hitting clear and consistent then go for it. Looked like maybe I could slide horizontally under it so tried that and I was able to cut a wedge out. I’m working on an inch of sod and small boulders under it but the wedge lifted on the right corner. I see something goldish in color but cant tell exactly what. Garrett back on the ground and its solid for 6” total width.

Think. Continue with the horizontal wedge approach until I can lift the entire wedge piece upward. Holy S&$T I can see more gold color and looks like an unclasp bracelet!! Ok. Get picture!!! Now pull gently on the first piece I initially saw and this thing just kept coming out of the rocks and dirt. I swear it was two feet long total!! It was laying there in a 6-7” S shape, the more I pulled the more gold chain came out! Breathe. Its a necklace!!!! Cant see little letters but whip out cheap magnifying glass and 90% sure I can see 14. Its minorly dirty but no tarnish or discolor. Breathe.

Get to truck and head home. Take toothbrush and water and it still looks gold. Dry it, get 10x loupe and look at very end of chain where the smooth cap is attached, 14k and Italy. Same with other end, same marks. Honestly, nerves caught up a bit. Necklace is fully intact and clasp works, 20” total length tip to tip.Measures quarter inch wide and weighed 28.68 grams.

I almost walked away due to rocks and “probably” foil cap assumption. Thank You to the guys who pass along your wisdoms and experiences with this model machine. Keep posting your stories because it helps to picture the circumstances. Above all else, if you haven’t experienced a gold hit, it truly is a different sound and the number never budged at all. The confidence meter was high for foil so almost let that influence me as well. Keep on swinging..... it is out there!

Attachments

• C72E61CB-14AE-4CFB-9AFD-EA26BA3912D2.jpeg
    C72E61CB-14AE-4CFB-9AFD-EA26BA3912D2.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 331
  • 6427DD0E-1829-4DC9-B096-65A6B9C1396D.jpeg
    6427DD0E-1829-4DC9-B096-65A6B9C1396D.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 383
  • F28FA4E3-D383-4D03-B72C-C0242AC92915.jpeg
    F28FA4E3-D383-4D03-B72C-C0242AC92915.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 364
Nice score! Gotta be $600.00-700.00 worth of gold
Mark

I hate to say I told you so....wait...that's some other guy.
I LOVE to say I told you so!
This is why I dig all solid hits no matter where they are.
Solid hit on a chain, yea, Fishers work and they like jewelry.
$1000 melt...way more if sold as a necklace, even used second hand.
CongratZ!

Calculated Scrap Gold Value
Submitted on September 23, 2020
Values Entered:
Gold Weight: 28.68 grams (equals 18.44 DWT, also known as pennyweight)
Purity:14k
Gold Price: $1862.20 / troy ounce
Answer:
Total gold value is $1,001.64.

Last edited:
Nice score! Gotta be $600.00-700.00 worth of gold
Mark

According to the gold value calculator that i use it is over 900 dollars worth of gold. So close to a thousand that it will be when gold goes back up a little. 995 and change.

You don't mess around when it comes to finding gold. What a Find.

I think I mentioned to you once your first gold will show up when you least expect it.
Proof!

Here...your picture app is slow and buggy...
photostudio_1600902298522.jpg

Last edited:
My kids keep sending me Mr T memes..... I’m literally still just sitting here stunned. I dont know if I’ve passed up anything else, this was such a clear and forceful tone no matter which way I scanned it. Damn rocks and clay were a nightmare to attack. Just an inch or two further over and it would have been mangled by the weight of cars etc driving over it. Just amazing.....

WOW!! I’m impressed. Way to go!

I can just picture the face of the guy who lost it when he realized he lost it. White as a sheet now and sweating bullets.

That would be a legendary find for me. The stuff that dreams are made of. The digging of foil targets is soooo annoying and time consuming though. Finds like this make the pain worthwhile and then some.

A real stunner !

About the best first gold I think I've seen posted. Congrats.

One thing it took a little while to get through my head was that I was finding gold with a Tejon and when I got the F75LTD, I wasn't. It wasn't the detector, it was me excluding based on ID. I hate digging those foil seals pulled from drinks that come in at 17 and sound good, but when those aren't dug and numbers around those aren't dug, you leave gold behind.

Excellent find!

😳😳😳😳😳😳😳😳😳😳😳
That chain is the size of a baby Anaconda 🤣😂
What a fantastic find!!!!!! I’m sure the owner is still crying out there.

Im getting to understand now that little bit of a chirp on the tone is a good giveaway that its a seal or gum wrapper or sometimes a pill blister pack. I’ve seen solid numbers, usually two digits a number or two apart before with foul and tabs but never an unwavering, not moving single number. Never had a just the number 20 either. Telling ya, both knees and hands hit the ground if that happens again!

Congrats on a killer find! You don’t mess around with the small gold, you go right for the big stuff, don’t you? Gonna be hard to top this one but I’ll bet you try, right? This hobby is so addicting.

Gold ring is still my #1 item on the bucket list. Necklace was no where on that list so.......

Ronstar is the Columbo of metal detecting-- he always has some crazy idea of where he might find metal, and... he eventually teases it out!