Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Gold and silver, using 10" x 5" DD Commander

Old California

Recently, Went back to an area with high mineralization, a couple of my VLF were gutless maybe 5" inches tops was all they could punch down too. New the area had potential, picked up old coins from here several years ago and knowing the area dates back to 1860s had to be more in there.

Called my local buddy Denny if he was up for a hunt, he's been here before and he knows the dirt is very mineralized. So I offered Denny my ATX while I used the GPX 5000, for this type of Hunting I would have prefer the ATX because I'm very comfortable using it for coin hunting, but being how Denny is new to using high power Pi's loaned him the ATX instead of the GPX.

Did extremely well with the GPX, Denny scored some neat finds too especially first time using the ATX.

I started off with the Detect 15" DD Sprial coil, within 15 minutes quickly swapped it for the 11"DD. Then within the hour had the 10" x5" DD Commander on and was kicking myself for wasting close to an hour with the first two coils, the smaller Commander DD was the perfect coil for these conditions. End of day, scored several neat finds along with a pouch full of clad coins. Three silver coins, one 1900 v-nickel, several wheat pennies, silver metal,
one vintage silver ring and a man's 14k white gold band 5.4 grams. The silver half was down a good 13-14 inches, almost gave up digging.

Wish I could feel as comfortable with the GPX as I am the ATX for coin shooting old parks, but hands down the GPX is deeper but sure is a beast to learn hunting inland parks and such.

No question, the 10" x5" DD Commander is the best coil for old parks.

Thanks for looking,
Paul

Very nice Paul, you are inspiring me to grab my ATX and go hit the park! I let my GPX go when I got my GPZ 7000 but have the ATX still just for beaches, parks, etc. If they ever make a small coil for the GPZ I will give it a go also.

Thanks Steve,

Good to hear you kept the ATX, I'll be keeping mine too it's too good of a pi to let go. Especially, With the new lighter deeper DD coming out I'm going to nab one of those coils for sure.

Also, Just before I ended the hunt the other day, my 10" x 5" DD Commander coil quit working in DD mode, would work in mono or cancel mode but not DD. So started wiggling the coil cable and sure enough found near the connector the cable has a short inside before it connects to the plug. Luckily, this short is near the tail end of cable so when I cut off the damaged portion can solder back the plug with no issues of not having enough cable to reach the box. So I lucked out, although the cable is damaged will be an easy fix.

By the way, Caved today and ordered an MX Sport. Going to use prospecting mode with the MX Sport at this same particular sandly area were these coins and gold ring came from. So my hopes are high with the MX Sport using prospecting mode.

Thanks again Steve!
Paul