Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Gold Bug all metal ID

MikeW

Hmm when I test coins in the all metal mode the large two digit number in the middle is much lower then when in disc. I thought that number identifies the object but I guess not. The manual states the arc across the top identifies the object. Guess I will have to retest my coins and check that as I wasnt understanding. Ive got an area I want to detect that many yrs ago gave up some barbers and indians. Havent been back in ages. Lol.

In all metal, the arc up top identifies the category of the object (low, medium, high conductor). The big number you see in all metal is the actual ground phase under the coil when you swing. In discrimination mode, it identifies the target with a number.

Thanks dfmike. Went looking for barbers today but had to settle for a 1921 wheatie. Ground was hard and poison oak all over. Last target was a solid +83 but only at about 4 inches. Finally managed to locate a well worn 1961d penny. Geez... Ground balancing wasnt a problem but need to work on the pinpointing with the 11 inch coil but had fun.

When you pin point over the target, when the sound is loudest with least distortion and depth number at its lowest point, the target should be right underneath the small round indentation on top of the coil in front of the coil ears. Do a cross pattern to be sure. Turn 90 degrees and do the same procedure. You should be able to zero in on the target to within 1 inch on either side. I find it super easy to pin point with that coil whether on my F5 or F19.

Also, I don't go by depth readout to help identify valuable targets anymore. I used to pass everything that was less than 3 inches before just because I wanted old silver and recent clad was of little interest. I got tricked many times in the past few months by digging the random shallow signals (high conductor zone) and finding the odd old silver quarter, dime or nickel. What were they doing at only 2-3 inches ??? I have no idea but it happens and I hate to think that I will pass some interesting historic targets just because I don't dig moderately shallow targets. It's a lot more work especially in trashy sites but the plus side is that I won't let any silver jewelry pass me by as well.

Just last weekend, I found a 1904 liberty dime and a 1939 quarter at less than 2 inches ! My pin pointer could detect them in the ground before I even started digging ! Every valuable target I have found in that area was at less than 3 inches. It's not common but it happens.

Congrats on the silver finds. Found shallow silver often enough in the past. I will practice the pinpointing. Good thing I have Garrett pinpointer to help with recovery. Thanks for the tips again.

You are welcome.