Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

GOLD BUG AS A RELIC MACHINE

TN HUNTER

IS THERE ANYONE THAT USES THE GOLD BUG SE OR PRO AS A RELIC MACHINE? WANDERING HOW IT HITS ON BRASS ,COPPER, BUTTONS AND BULLETS. I HAVE NOT SEEN ANYONE SAY THEY USE THEIRS AS A RELIC MACHINE. MOST ONLY SAY COINS. JUST WANDERING THANKS, TN HUNTER

Hey TN...if you do a search, you will see a few hunters are using them as relic units and apparently they work great at it.

Yes, I use mine ONLY for relics. It is deadly in iron infested sites and the recovery rate is lightning fast. You can dig good targets out of holes that have square nails on top of them!!!! I have it's cousin the G2 and the performance is the same as the Gold Bug. Just make sure you have the 11" DD coil for open field work and the 5"dd for the real trashy or brushy spots. These two machines are making old, hunted out sites come alive!!!!....:thumbup:

That coil makes my Gold Bug SE one mean tot lot hunter too ! I had several other units I would use for tot lots and trashy park areas....not any more. Yes, I know it's hot on aluminum as well as gold, but that's cool with me. Sweep that sucker fast and small foil and can shards sound scratchy and have jumpy ID's while solid targets and rings sound GREAT and lock on.

I know the question was about relic hunting, but just wanted to get a dig in for another application this machine can conquer.

Oh yeah....it works great at the salt water beaches too !

Hi TN.

When i am out it will be looking coins being in the UK there are some good and very interesting finds from time to time.

However you can ask any detectorist over hear what do they find loads of and the answer will be buttons of all shapes,sizes and metals.

Also musket balls, spent cartridge shells etc.

Only yesterday i found 4 decent coins but about 4 or five times that in buttons, musket balls and the rest.

The loudest and deepest target of the day was a Dragon embossed livery button that through the makers inscription on the reverse side could be traced to London 1837.

Trust me if it you pass the coil of the GB over it coin, button, bullet it makes no difference it will find it, those high tones are unmistakable.

A friend of mine has the Gold Bug Pro now and I use the Teknetics G2. Same detector except the rod/grip package. He likes the stock 5" DD coil for the trashier sites and that's what I mounted on my G2 for such tasks. Coin hunting? Yes, but only because coins might show up. When I am working old house tear-downs that date from about 1875 to 1920, I am not only after coins. I enjoy all neat small artifacts (aka relics) that might be found there, such as thimbles, trade tokens, buttons, and just a lot of neat, small, non-ferrous stuff.

The same is true when I head out to ghost towns or 1800's era pioneer and military encampments. Yes, I use other quick-response detectors like the T2 and Omega, but the G2/Gold Bug Pro have their place due to the simple yet versatile settings. Oh, my friend ordered in the 11" coil that was on special for his Gold Bug Pro for sites with less trash, and I have my stock 11" DD on a spare lower rod. The G2/Gold Bug pro are not the deepest-seeking high-conductive coin finders, although they do okay, but with the 11" and 5" DD coils you have all the bases covered for most hunting needs. Then, if you're looking for simplicity yet great performance on most relic-based targets in the lower to mid-range of conductivity, you will definitely be impressed.

Now, if it will just warm up here in NW Oregon. My friend has his down in Arizona for the next month and a half and I can only envy him in the more comfortable weather to enjoy at those old sites that have been producing.

Monte

I have a strange feeling that we will be seeing a lot more of these machines in use shortly... At least one more.