Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Gold Bug ll question for the forum.

silversmith

Hi... I'm on the verge of ordering a Gold Bug ll. I have other detectors I use for coin and general detecting. This will be for gold prospecting. If you had it to do over again, would you order your gold bug with a 6.5 " coil or with a 10" coil? And do you believe the 14" is worth the investment? Thanks, appreciate all comments.
Oh, I'll be doing creek beds and mine tailings, mostly.

.....only used the 6.5". Never put the 10" on...and most guys I knew who had the 14" never used it much.
Depends on what kind of prospecting a person is doing..as to which coil works best. But i can tell you from using one in Arizona for the better part of 3 years the smallest coil was on my machine 99% of the time.
The ground was way to hot for the bigger coils. If you are in the desert dry creek beds you need the smallest coil. There are way too many hot rocks and hot bedrock that the larger coils pick up. Especially if you are going to snipe the bedrock cracks and get the small gold you must have the small coil to get in and around.
For tailings the 10" would be fine...but again most of us just kept the small one on. If you are getting the package from say Kellyco...then the two coil package deal is worth it. There are times the 10" is nice to have...but if I had to have only one coil for creeks and tailings then the 6.5 is to me the only choice.
But you will never see anyone with the 14" coil in the desert...

And...azsh07, that's exactly what I did. I think they call it the pro with the 2 coils. The best deal I found was from Kellyco. However, an hour after I ordered it, I was called and told they were back ordered and would be a 2 week delay. Now, I wonder if that's true, or, are they really "drop-shippers" and that's their normal "modis-operandi (spelling?) Any one experience this from them? Drop shipping's Ok. I just hate to get B.S.'ed. I went for the big coil because I want to try detecting this Fall-Winter on old mine tailings. I've heard not many flakes and small nuggets are found there because the miners screened out larger material and processed the smaller stuff. So, larger gold deeper is the accepted rule on tailings. I donno, thats what I've heard.,
Oh, I'm in central Ca. and will be doing most detecting in the Mariposa-Sequoia areas. Much thanks, appreciate the comments..........which are always welcomed. See ya, Ron.

I too live in central California, I have the 10" and the 6.5". I use the 6.5 most of the time. You may lose some depth with the smaller coil but the 6.5 can detect smaller gold.

Have you guys found any gold yet? I live in Paradise CA... Which is about 2 hr s north of Sacramento.. Just asking were do you favor to find it.. I m kinda new to detecting and miss my gold bug se because its at fisher labs.. Its been gone a few weeks and can't wait to get it back.. Do you guys have clubs around to go detecting with?