Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Gold Bug Nugget Test

SWMO Mark

I saw where someone was looking for results of nugget sens. on the newer gold bugs. I have 2 nuggets that I tested. They are glued to poker chips, so I cant give you there weights. But they are both small. The smallest is next to a normal size ink pen. These are airtest. Useing a 11" DD coil from a F75. In all metal the ground is factory preset at 82.7 with sens. at max. The larger nugget gives a reliable signal at 3", the smaller at 1 1/2". In Disc., with disc. set at 20 to help ID small iron. The larger nugget reads at 2 1/2" and the smaller at 1". Hope this gives anyone interested in the Goldbugs performance a little idea on how it works on nuggets. I tried the 5" coil also and didnt see any real noticeable difference in depth with the large coil.

so you dont think the small coil makes any difference? was going to buy one for when i go look for gold maybe i wont bother??

What I should have said was there wasnt a big difference in depth between the 2 coils. The 5" coil does pick up these 2 nuggets 1/2" deeper than the 11". So I guess it would depend on what type of ground you are hunting. If I was hunting fairly flat level ground, I would probably use the 11" for more coverage. But if it was rocky or rough terrrain, I would use the 5". You could get the coil in between the rocks and closer to the ground. If you used the 11" in the rough ground you might have to elevate the coil above the rocks to be able to swing the coil and then lose most of your small nuggets. I would think it would be a good investment to have both coils so you could hunt any situation you come across.

well said you just about sold me one :clapping: i have one on order just waiting for the protector plate 1/2in on those little things would be like 3 or 4in on the beach, i am guessing that little one is at best .2 of a gram maybe less? go to the old diggings and have a look around a minelab wouldn't pick those up :detecting: i don't know how others think but i think once things are in the ground the depth gets a bit better with a gold bug?

i did an air test with that earing i found and i wondered how i found it because it had other metal on the gold it didn't give much depth and numbers jumping around well it does that on all the rings i tested because they are not pure 10K ect it jumped around like bottle top or foil does now i know why i have to keep digging junk :ranting: i am sure i will get better at it with the ID numbers but unless its pure metal it seems to jump! just what i am seeing anyways :pulltab: when i think i have it worked out it gets a little bit more fun :detecting: if it was so easy there wouldnt be anything left?

Guys --

My Gold Bug DP is on the way, and I have a whole supply of Colorado gold nuggets of various sizes, which I plan to do some testing on -- with both my F70, and the Gold Bug Pro. I don't have the 5" DD coil yet for the Bug, so my testing will be with an 11" DD on the Bug, and a 10" concentric elliptical and 5" DD on the F70. While my testing will likely take some time, I will post some results here before too long. I also plan to bury a couple of the nuggets, and try to get some "in-ground" info, at least in my red-clay ground (results obviously would be different in the highly-mineralized soil in "gold country.")

Of course, I'll also be doing some testing on coins, with both detectors -- both air tests, and in the ground (I have a coin garden planned, but not planted yet! :) )

Steve

Hey thanks! Hard to find any information for nugget hunting results of the new gold bug. That small nugget must only be a couple of grains,not bad.

What i notice is that Gold rings, coins give a hard it. Different sound then foil etc. Listen to the sound best place to practice is a park I'm talking around the picnic area tons of foil sometimes it sounds like a machine gun going off. But i am learning the different sounds that are made can usually tell what it is between the sound and vid. Because i dig them. Also a good set of headphones a must period, I have a set of radio shacks and Rattlers big different in what they tell you in the sound. Just spend the money forget it because with out a good set i feel you will waste a lot of your time and miss alot . Learn it learn it no matter what machine you have sleep with it hell i put mine in the front sit with me and a hat on it. Anyway i hope everyone great outings luck.
Gold Bug Pro Rocks.

SWMO Mark said:
I saw where someone was looking for results of nugget sens. on the newer gold bugs. I have 2 nuggets that I tested. They are glued to poker chips, so I cant give you there weights. But they are both small. The smallest is next to a normal size ink pen. These are airtest. Useing a 11" DD coil from a F75. In all metal the ground is factory preset at 82.7 with sens. at max. The larger nugget gives a reliable signal at 3", the smaller at 1 1/2". In Disc., with disc. set at 20 to help ID small iron. The larger nugget reads at 2 1/2" and the smaller at 1". Hope this gives anyone interested in the Goldbugs performance a little idea on how it works on nuggets. I tried the 5" coil also and didnt see any real noticeable difference in depth with the large coil.

Hey Mark, did you try an F75 on those two nuggets?

Now THERE's a good question, Neil. I want to hear the answer.

I have an F70, and I just got a Gold Bug Pro. I'll be trying them both out head-to-head on nuggets soon; some VERY VERY preliminary, brief, and unscientific testing (waving both machines over a nugget, not measuring the distance, just eyeballing, not the same nugget but a similar one, done on two different days in two different locales -- very good test, eh?!!) says the Bug Pro is more sensitive to gold nuggets (sees them farther in an air test), but I need to do a true, side-by-side test. It's coming. Very preliminary air testing with the Bug Pro, by the way, gives me somewhere in the 11-12 inch range, max, for a clad or silver quarter..."diggable" tone more like 9-10. Gold wedding band out to 13 or 14". That was max sens, thresh 5-ish, all metal, 11" DD. I will do a much better job of air testing (gold nuggets, and coins) in the near future, with both machines. Will post results.

Steve