Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Gold Bug Pro DP first 3 months

Minas man

Just a shout out to say thank you to forum posters and give a little review of the Gold Bug Pro DP.
I purchased used last November from a local online classified after doing some research first. The main reason for trying the GB pro was its ability to ground balance to salt and I must say that it did not disappoint.
My first chance to give it a try was on Christmas morning as the ground was not frozen yet. Having cut my detecting teeth on the Tesoro Vaquero the GB pro was a breeze and I was digging every signal to learn the numbers as this is my first detector with a display. In less than an hour I had a pocket full of coins and a IOOF dime size chased gold pin all on my first hunt with the GB pro. .
.I have been detecting salt water beaches all winter and finding lots of cool stuff but the most interesting was a toasted 6 inch flintlock pistol.
A few weeks back on the last beach of the day the detector went crazy and I thought it was EMI but went out the next week to a different beach and same unstable condition got worse and the screen would flash OVER LOAD and I was unable to detect.
After a email to my local metal detector dealer he said come over and try another coil so I did and his 5 inch fisher and NEL hunter worked perfect. I ended up buying his coils but have not had the chance to get out. My original non working Greek coil had spent a lot of time in the water over the past month so this week I left it over the hot air register and today I gave it a try and it worked perfectly. Hooray. The idea to get some heat on the Greek 11 DD coil originated from my son who had a gaming graphics card go bad and then heard about putting the card in the oven for a certain time & temperature and the fix worked, and his graphics card is still working today.
I am glad I purchased the 2 other coils that my local shop had as I will use them with this awesome detector, but will keep the 11 Greek coil out of the water..
Thanks

That pistol is an awesome find. Can you get it cleaned up ? About that DD coil taking in water: It's supposed to be waterproof. I've dunked mine in the water many times will no ill effects. I had two 11 DD coils at one time (an old one and a new) and it seems that Fisher changed their epoxy coating technique at one point. The old one came with my F19 and the new one with my F5 and the black sealing around the part that is just behind the ears is much better on the newer sample. The older coil sealant almost looks transparent.

Thanks for in info on the sealant dmike. My coil has a black shiny sealant and there is cracking from the wire side on the right of the coil up and over the middle spine portion.
The pistol is very cool and at this point appears to be a 1760's English pistol. Not sure how I will clean it up as I am not really a relic hunter but the GB pro is sure hot on relics with the 11 Greek coil.

Are you using the Gold Bug Pro with a NEL Hunter coil? I'm trying to find out which larger coils will work on my Gold Bug Pro. Either NEL or Mars - don't care just want go get something that is larger than the 5" coil that came with it. I have a LOT of ground to cover!

Old Nick

Old nick all my experience is with the stock 11 Greek coil that comes with GB pro DP and all I can say is that it is a hot coil with good ground coverage and I like it a lot . Bought the NEL cause the 11 greek stopped working correctly but has since dried out and is working again. If I had the choice I would have gone for the NEL sharpshooter for size and weight but my local dealer only had 2 coils in stock that would fit my machine so I bought them both, the NEL Hunter and 5 inch Fisher.
The ground is still frozen here so I can not dig but took the NEL Hunter out for a swing last evening and it was finding the targets but I could not dig. The Hunter does work but is heavier than the 11 Greek but anything you put on will be heavier than that 5 inch coil.
You can go the the NEL website and get a list of all coils that fit GB pro series detectors. Fisher also has a list of coils other than the 5 inch that fit you GB pro.
Wish I could tell you more about the NEL Hunter Old nck but is looks like it is very good quality and from all the videos that I have seen it gets better depth than most stock coils.

Minas man said:
Thanks for in info on the sealant dmike. My coil has a black shiny sealant and there is cracking from the wire side on the right of the coil up and over the middle spine portion.
The pistol is very cool and at this point appears to be a 1760's English pistol. Not sure how I will clean it up as I am not really a relic hunter but the GB pro is sure hot on relics with the 11 Greek coil.
Put some Amazing Goop on it after it is completely dry and it'll never leak again

I did let the coil dry out and it worked as normal. I have not submerged it in water since but used it in the wet grass conditions and it acted up again so now I will have to use some sealant when it drys out.
Thank Guys

Minas man